Development: Part 1
It is evident that the deadline of the term is quickly approaching. Therefore, I have to finalise my designs in order to start making them on software.
I noticed that compared to previous terms, I had a much better initial idea base to work with. The ideas I had came out somewhat successful which made the development process way easier.
PALEOLITHIC:
For the paleolithic era, the main idea was to create a night bedside lamp using their statues as primary inspiration.
I knew that I wanted to create a figure as the base of the lamp, however, after the previous research (click here), I wanted to try out the 'bubble gum' idea.
This was the outcome:
I ended up not liking it as much as I thought I would. I think it looks more childish and it does not reflect on the modern/ contemporary designs that I wish to pursue. I think that figures look more aesthetically pleasing and elegant.
Therefore, I decided to use the initial idea as a base for development:
This was the initial design. I really did not have any problems with it as I quite like it. I like how it reinforces body positivity and represents the era well. I think that such a lamp can act as a 'statement' when complemented by good surroundings and can really stand out. However, after my pre-development research (click here), I also wanted to experiment with the idea of including the light within the design.
Therefore, I created this outcome. I used the idea from 'my own bali' research to add cracks to the design and then used the method from this blog post (click here) to make it look more archaic. This specific design looked very successful in the previous research I did. However, I quickly realised that that was because the statue was at a larger scale. This design is not tall and is quite bulky, therefore, a lamp shade is necessary to make the users eye level elevate and make it more modern.
However, looking at the initial idea design, the oval lamp shade was very odd. It reminded me of that tool people use at hair salons. Overall I think it did not complement the design.
Therefore, I decided to swap that design with a classic oval lamp shade.
Additionally, I did not like the same colour scheme for both the lamp shade and the design as it blended in. I wanted it to create some contrast and make it stand out. Therefore, I thought that since this is a NIGHT bedside lamp, I would make the lampshade black in order to represent the night.
I think this turned out quite successful. I believe that the design of it makes it very unique and it looks visually pleasing.
MESOLITHIC:
This lamp will be a floor lamp inspired by wood. The initial idea of this was a successful outcome, so I decided to develop it slightly.
This was the initial idea. Although it was nice and simple, I did not think that it was particularly unique or original.
After my secondary research post (click here), it was evident that the most popular type of lamps were arc lamps. Additionally, tree lamps were also very popular.
Therefore, I thought that creating a tree lamp, would directly link with the 'wood' theme.
Therefore, I decided to create the tree lamp. I liked the concept in the paleolithic era of using darker classic oval shaped lampshades so I wanted to use it in this design too.
After my research in the pre-development ideas (click here) , I also looked at a tree lamp which I was fascinated by. Additionally, I also looked at a lamp design were different layers of branches interlaced with each other. Therefore, I decided to make all the tree branches connected into one to make it more interesting and create more shapes in between the branches.
I really like this design and I think that it is very unique, original and innovative. I considered many aspects before designing this lamp.
I specifically like how this lamp is made out of wood and the style of lamp is called 'tree lamp'.
NEOLITHIC:
For the neolithic era, I wanted to approach it in an old-fashioned way. I have made the previous designs more contemporary and modern, however, I wanted at least one of my designs to be more old fashioned. This collection is all about satisfying different needs, therefore, I want the users to have alternative choices for both function and aesthetic.
This was the starting point of the development which was created in the initial ideas:
This was the initial design created. I do not quite like this design as it is has a very bulky lamp shading and a very elegant and slim base. I think that the texture complements the design well, however, I was convinced that the shape could become more attractive.
Therefore, I decided to slim down the lamp shading and then make the base thicker. In my head, this was the middle ground of the design as it would look more proportional. However, I also thought that the shape of the top part of the lamp shading was very odd. Once again, the thought of layers made this design more appealing. Therefore, I tried to manipulate and play with the design to form more layers.
Even though this was an improvement from the previous design, I did not like how the lamp shading was connected to the base. It is sudden without a smooth transition.
Therefore, I thought of the buffet lamp in this research (click here). I thought of the elegant shape created in a buffet lamp and how smooth the transition looks. Therefore, I decided to keep the top layer, but smooth out the bottom. I think this design with the pattern works really well.
It reminds me of a vase which I consider successful as I wanted this to directly resemble their pottery. This is just an idea, but I thought about making the bottom part out of clay to represent pottery and the top part to be coloured stained glass in order to emit light in various colours.
THE BRONZE AGE:
The idea behind the bronze age was to create a design inspired by the pyramids.
I had some very solid ideas that I really liked in my development, however, I wanted to explore them further.
These were the two initial idea examples that I would use in order to create my development. I first decided to proceed with the second design to generate some ideas.
I decided to use the same design but also add inverted pyramids at the bottom to show where the light will be emitted from. Since I am planning on creating this design out of Bronze, I wanted to make the light source more exposed. However, I ended up not liking this design, but liking the concept of it. Therefore, I decided to apply it in the other design.
I used the first design and then created more layers in between each layer where I added lights. The light are designed in a pyramid shape in order to maintain the identity of the lamp.
I really like this design. I truly thought that it would not turn out good but I ended up liking it the most. I think it looks complex yet very simple and I also like the lamp design. I like the ongoing pyramid theme and this also ensures that there will be enough light emitted. I consider this a very successful design.
THE IRON AGE:
This is the last lamp design for the development stage. This lamp is inspired by shields and by sun.
These were the original designs in my initial ideas.
These were quite childish and I could not envision someone mature enough buying these for their houses. I realised that symmetry plays a very important role in making designs more contemporary and modern. Therefore, I decided to add more symmetry.
This was the first design I thought of. I added different random layers to represent the sun. However, this does not represent a shield, so I decided to eliminate it.
Then, I decided to add the symmetry in the design. I added different rays of the sun, portraying them in a symmetrical manner, and then the lamp in the middle. I liked this design, however, I wanted it to incorporate more elements of a shield.
Therefore, I decided to add the shield shaped lamp that I found in my research in the pre-development post (click here) and combine it with the shape I designed for the shield in my initial ideas. I added that in the middle,, however, I think that it sticks out from the wall too much which would be a technical problem.
Therefore, I decided to make the base of the lamp smaller. I really like this design. I think it represents their tools and shields well in an indirect way, making it more contemporary and modern.
Additionally, primitive people relied a lot on sun in order to hunt or do any necessities of life as they did not have power sources. Therefore, I think this lamp design is very accurate and symbolic.
Conclusion:
I am very happy with how all designs turned out. I think each one has a nice background story. I consider these designs very unique and original which will make them stand out in the market.
I think that a lot of research and consideration was put into these outcomes and I am very pleased with them.
The next step is to research colour schemes, materials and measurements in order to finalise the designs completely this week so I can start working on my software designs at the start of next week.
Conclusion:
IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT: the colour scheme is not finalised. I will carry out more research on the material and colour psychology which will determine the final colour. These are just the final designs, not colour schemes.
I am very happy with how all designs turned out. I think each one has a nice background story. I consider these designs very unique and original which will make them stand out in the market.
I think that a lot of research and consideration was put into these outcomes and I am very pleased with them.
The next step is to research colour schemes, materials and measurements in order to finalise the designs completely this week so I can start working on my software designs at the start of next week.




















As concepts these are quite inventive. Feels like you are closer to resolving the issues and self doubts you have had over some of your previous posts.
ReplyDelete