Research: My Own Bali
I stumbled across another company that produces items that resemble that era by using raw, unprocessed materials.
This company is called 'My own bali'.
This was their first design that I looked at and it really captivated my attention. It stood out to me a lot and it is a design that I have not seen before. It is a bench made out of raw wood. It is very unprocessed and undeveloped which makes it look more archaic and old.
I really like that there are holes on the surface of the bench. Additionally, the asymmetry makes the design more unique.
At one of the ends of the bench, there is an upward slope created by the wood. That can be used either as a barrier or as a backrest for people to lean on. I think that the natural shape of the wood is beautiful as it effortlessly forms more shapes and functions within the bench.
The discolouration of the wood creates more dimension within the bench and creates a fascinating pattern.
Lastly, the legs are of different shapes and sizes which overall matches the theme and the aesthetic.
Looking at this design, I am very keen on creating seating furniture. I am also keen on exploring both stone and wood in their natural form. I find the gaps and bumps of the wood very interesting and I am definitely planning on including an idea of a similar concept in my initial ideas.
This design is probably the neatest one out of all in this blog. It has a smooth surface which is not usually seen in the rest of the designs. It has a very clean finish with no rough edges or foldings. No gaps are seen, except some minor ones in the middle.
I like the curvy shape of the bench as it makes it more abstract. The bench seems to be laminated and sanded down, thus not leaving the wood in its natural and unprocessed form. This is a more modern twist to the concept of the designs.
I can also consider this modern approach to the archaic concept in order to create a collection of furniture.
Even though I like the concept of this design, I do not like the execution of it. The first thing that bothers me is that a table should have the primary function of being able to place things on the top surface. However, there are so many gaps on the top which prevent the user from placing anything, as it would fall in the gaps.
A possible solution to this problem would be to place a thin layer of glass on the top. It would add a twist of modern design and it would not interfere with the natural shape of the wood. It would be more practical if this was applied.
However, I really like the colour of this wood. In every example, there are different shades of each which make it unique. Additionally, every piece of wood has a unique pattern which makes it more interesting for the buyer. The ashy colour of this wood makes it look old.
I like that the top layer of the table has an undefined circular shape as it resembles a basic shape of a table.
Lastly, I do not like the formation of the legs. They look very bulky and straight which creates a contrast with the abstract and delicate shapes on the top. Even though contrast is good, I feel like it does not match the aesthetic.
I definitely want to look into various ways I can experiment with the natural shape of the wood, as seen in this example.
This one is similar to the previous one, however, I like it more. As seen in the previous one, there is not a lot of surface are on the top to put things. However, this one provides more space for the user to add things on. Additionally, I really like how the legs are embedded in the rest of the design. They do not look like separate pieces, like the previous one.
I really like the colour of this wood and how it looks shiny when the sun hits it. Unlike the previous design, this colour looks more modern and delicate. The previous one looks older and more archaic in comparison to the undertones of this one.
I like the abstract natural shape and that they kept the rough edges and imperfections of the design.
It is a common pattern in these designs for objects to have uncommon or weird shapes. No defined shapes are seen in most of these designs as the aim is to produce objects with unusual aesthetics.
As seen in the title of this object, it is called 'rack boat'. A wooden rack boat has an almond shape which is what this book shelf resembles.
I like how the wood is chipped off and it looks old. If I add wood to my designs, I can definitely consider chipping it at some parts to create more natural texture
Conclusion: I really enjoy looking at different designs. I am keen on developing a series of 5 variations of one product. As of right now I'm thinking of a chair, however, I still need to develop my idea.
What stood out to me the most in this post were the two tables. I really liked the design and concept behind it.
It is evident that I have completed some research on existing artists, however, I think that it is also time to simultaneously dive into the cavemen's life to see more in depth their lifestyle and draw some inspiration from that.
A random inspiration thought that occurred when I was adding commentary to the last bench design was to create 5 variations of one product that show evolution. To elaborate, lets use a chair as an example.
I could create 5 different outcomes of the chair but each outcome will progressively get more modern. I think this is definitely an idea to consider to see how each variation shows the passage of time. I can research different eras and create each chair based on a more modern era. I like this idea and I can definitely consider it as an option.





This is really exciting, particularly when considering combining it with stone. The last paragraph is interesting too - furniture as an evolutionary process?
ReplyDelete