Collaborative piece

 During one of the classes, we were assigned to draw out a man inspired by the following text. Our tutor then combined all the images into one gif. 

Unfortunately, I was not feeling well that day so I did not attend the class. However, I still decided to do it in my own time as I found the brief very interesting.

The text:


My outcome:


In one of my previous blog posts called 'Ice breaker: Self portrait', click here to access, I looked at an artist called Adam Riches that uses scribbles to convey emotions and characteristics. I wanted to use the same approach for the face of the man that I would be creating.
I started off by creating the eyes. I wanted the eyes to be the only colourful feature of the man as it says 'piercing, shining, looking right at you, seeing into you'. I wanted to achieve the effect of piercing eyes which is why I enlarged the eyes and made them colourful so they can be the focal point of the design.
 
'Grizzly and marked'. The grizzly referred to the grey colour of the face. I wanted to take this literally and make it grey by using pens and no colour. Additionally, I added the scribbling shading as I wanted to create texture to convey the 'marked' effect.

'Mouth is but a black slit'. Once again, taking the literal approach, I decided to create only one black slit for the mouth as it was covered by the moustache hair.

'His hair a nest of dirty matted strands'. As it referred to the hair as a tangled mess of strands, I decided to add various strands of hair in different directions to make it messy.

I added a beard for dimension. He barely has any hair on his head so I added a lot of beard to contrast this.

I decided to take a very literal approach to this design by creating a man that fits the description perfectly. I am satisfied with the outcome and I had fun creating it and coming up with this. 



This was the gif created with the work of the rest of the class.
I think that the images work great together. It's really impressing to see how each person approached this project and I think that the tutor did a great job with the editing.
I love that every person approached it in a unique way which shows that every individual perceives something in a different way.

Was this useful? I definitely think that this was useful. Being given a quote and then having to interpret it and draw it out in your own unique way and how you perceive it is one of the most interesting tasks for me. This was a very broad text, it allowed you to explore various outcomes. This task enhanced my creativity and made me think of something unique. It was not associated with still life or research or observation. It was solely based on your own creativity and ideas that came to mind which makes the work authentic and original. I like viewing other peoples work as I learn from it. It is always interesting to see how each individual approaches such a topic.  

Comments

  1. This was a really useful exercise and your portrait was really good - I'll try and add it to the gif. Was good to read your thought process - might be worth posting an image of Adam Riches' work again to illustrate some background to your sketch.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment