Ice Breaker: Self Portrait

 During our first Art Portfolio class, we were assigned to create a portrait of ourselves either drawing it or digitally. This term I want to focus on building and developing my drawing skills so I decided to complete this task by drawing my portrait. For my 2D3D task last term we were assigned to create a self-portrait and I completed it using ink pens. Ink pens are a medium I am quite familiar with, therefore, for this task I wanted to challenge myself to create something out of my comfort zone.

This piece of art sparked my idea in todays class task. This was created by Adam Riches. I really like how the artist uses scribbles to form the portrait. He creates dimension and shadows by scribbling intensely in the desired areas. I like this concept and I want to recreate it in my own style by making it more playful, colourful so it can resemble doodles. 


I was really intrigued by this drawing so I wanted to try it out. This style of drawing was very out of my comfort zone as I tend to like drawing thin lines and making everything look tidy.  This was a really quick drawing that took me about 15-20 minutes. 

I wanted to create an abstract piece of work that has scribbles across it. I wanted my piece to resemble a doodle or a cartoon version of myself rather than creating a realistic piece. Ideally, if I had more allocated time to complete this task, I would try out a more realistic version. However, as this was a short ice breaker task, I decided to keep it simple and minimalistic. My aim was to enlarge certain features like the eyes to make it look more cartoonish. A known phrase says 'the eyes are the windows to the soul' which is something I wanted to capture in my design. Additionally, as there will not be a lot of empty white space, enlarging the eyes and keeping them white would make them the focal point so they would stand out. 


For my colour palette I was inspired by this 3D effects drawing. The main colours included are turquoise and red. I really like these colours as they complement each other very well. Additionally, they create a blurry effect which creates a unique illusion. I am aware that in order to create this effect you need to place one colour next to the other, however, I decided that I wanted to scribble my colours all over the page. I used this picture as a colour guide which was very helpful as it helped me keep it simple and effective. 

The only highlighters I had home were pink, purple and blue so they were close enough to resemble that colour palette. I used a pink highlighter to form all my basic shapes, then added a purple highlight for dimension and a black ink pen of size 0.5 for details. The pink was used as a base as it was the lightest, therefore it takes up a larger proportion of my drawing as it doesn't stand out much. I also used a blue colour in some areas to create contrast and make it look more colourful. I really like the colour palette created as it looks very cohesive and the colours complement each other. 

I am satisfied with the overall finish for the amount of time it took me to create this. I like exploring new methods and familiarising myself with them so this is definitely a good new start to the second term. I am excited to work on upcoming projects with the same enthusiastic approach. 

The under-eye bags represent the long term effects of sleep deprivation.

After receiving feedback from my tutor, I decided to add colour pencils to the final look to make it look more like Adam Riches' style. I feel like the outcome is much more improved than before.


Comments

  1. Nice approach to the self portrait and good use of two really interesting images to support this post. I think there is some room to develop this approach with other materials such as coloured pencils to get an effect closer to the quality of Adam Riches drawing and retain the colours from the 3D image you have posted.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment