Final Project: Experimenting with Fusion 360

 After experimenting with SketchUp in my previous blog (click here) , I decided to briefly experiment with Fusion360 too. I also created a blog on more technical details and differences of the two software (click here to access it), however, it was time to do some practical work and experiment with both the software. I decided to create the same product I designed using SketchUp in order to compare them at the end. My testing table design was inspired from the blog I posted with the title 'Analysing existing product' (click here). I analysed a product with a similar concept of what I'm doing; therefore, I decided to get inspired by that design for my testing. 

I opened a new design page in Fusion360 to start sketching out. In comparison to SketchUp, there are many grid boxes on the axis so you can have accurate and precise measurements.
It was time to select the first planar surface in order to start designing. I started designing the top part of the desk first in order to use that as a guide for the bottom part. In sketchUp, I created both planes at the same times which was a mistake as I had to create the top one first in order to not overlap with the bottom plane. Focusing on one plane at a time allowed me to properly think about what each surface has to consist of in order to look cohesive and functional. 

I clicked on 'create sketch' and then on '2-point rectangle' to form the base of the shape. 


As I was aiming for round edges, I used the 'Fillet' tool and curved out my edges. I also used the '2-point rectangle' tool to form a rectangle inside. I clicked on 'finish sketch' once that planar surface was done.

I used the 'extrude' tool to make my 2D object into 3D. I dragged the arrow to the desired width and then clicked 'enter' to form my shape. Extruding in both software is really easy as you can drag it as much as you want and then adjust it in the process. 


After having the top part done, I clicked on 'create sketch' and chose the perpendicular planar surface in order to form the bottom part of my desk. 

I used the 'extrude' tool again to make my bottom base into 3D. 


I used the '2 point rectangle' tool and started drawing my shelves. Again, I used one vertical and one horizontal shelve to test out the different orientations. 
What I noticed in the last image was that it automatically joined all my separate parts together. If I wanted to separate them I would have to use tools such as 'unstitch' 'split face' or 'split body'. I find this to be very inconvenient and I like that SketchUp doesn't combine your parts together. It is easier to fix mistakes that way.

Lastly, to render my image I clicked on the left button that says 'Design' and selected 'Render'. 





This took me about 40 minutes to design as I had to familiarise myself with the software again. I haven't used fusion360 in almost a year so I had to navigate through it and experiment for a bit. Overall, it was easy to create this. However, there are many factors of this software that I don't personally like. I don't like that you analyse the planes separately. In SketchUp you can work on all planes at the same time which makes it easier. You can view the object as a whole and work in different parts of it. Using fusion360, I had to work separately. Orientation in fusion360 was very confusing at times which caused frustration. It took me almost twice the time to work on fusion360 rather than SketchUp and I still prefer the outcome of SketchUp. A tool such as the 'fillet' was way easier to use on Fusion360, however, it didn't take me a long time to work on the rounded edges in SketchUp. Fusion360 allows you to view real life renders which is very beneficial as you get to observe and explore how your object would look like. Lastly, in SketchUp it is easier to undo mistakes rather than in Fusion360. 

As a conclusion, this was a very simple design to create on both software. I didn't have to use many complicated tools and didn't add a lot of detail to them. However, as this project won't have any technology included in it and isn't a very complex object, I think that SketchUp is the way to go. I think that fusion360 is an amazing software to use if you are used to CAD software. I prefer using SketchUp as it is easier and more convenient. 

I enjoyed navigating through the software as I know now that SketchUp is definitely the software I prefer using. As mentioned previously, I was not aiming for perfect results or looking at things from a technical detail. When I will design my own I will consider factors such as components, measurements very carefully. This was just a testing piece to compare both software. 

In my next blogs I will start working on my research and initial ideas.

Comments

  1. Very very good experiment and comparison - well written explanation and technical details - excellent work

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment