Final Project: Analysing Existing Product
Before I started sketching out my initial ideas, I thought about reviewing an existing product that has a similar concept to my idea. I decided to break down several factors of a brief analysis and explore the specific product in detail. At the end of each factor analysis, I will include key points that I liked about this design and might think about including in mine, but also form questions that I will have to keep in mind when designing my own. This will help me clearly identify factors that I would like or not like to include.
The product I decided to analyse was a Fold-down desk from Amazon.
Fold-down desk
Function: the function of this product is to conserve space and provide comfort to the users. This table/ cupboard can be used to both study and store items. It is a multipurpose desk design. When the desk is folded upwards, you can use it as a cupboard to store items. There are shelves provided to make it more organised and divide the space inside in order to be able to store more things. When it is unfolded, you still have access to the things stored inside, however, you can also use it as a table to study or eat. Being able to hang this on the wall can be very beneficial as you will be able to adjust to your measurements and preference. This will provide comfort as you will be able to place the object as high or as low as you wish, making it more customised. You can fold down the opening of the cupboard and transform it into a study desk. It is easy to fold up and down making the process of studying and storing easier. Additionally, this prevents user frustration as it is easy and simple to use. Using this cupboard/ desk in your apartment can be very beneficial as you will have both functions in one.
Having the table on the wall is a
great way for users to adjust it to their preferred height. I will keep this in
mind when designing my own table. Should my design allow the users to adjust it
too? How will it fold to reveal the storage? How much storage will I provide? Will
it have specific shelves or should they be optional?
Performance requirements: The
product design is well assembled and the components used ensure that it is
stable so it doesn’t fall apart. Safety hazards are a major factor when
designing a product and I need to be very considerate of all the factors that
can go wrong. Additionally, there are no rough edges and the surface of it is
very smooth so people don’t injure themselves. It can fold down and up easily
without a lot of pressure or effort. It is really easy to understand how to use
the cupboard which provides comfort and reduces frustration. The storage area
inside is satisfactory enough to store books or small objects. For a small
apartment that would be very comfortable.
I need
to consider the components of my design, alongside the safety hazards to ensure
maximum safety. I need to think of the measurements, the materials and the
sizes. Additionally, I need to look at how much available storage my desk will
provide. Should it be laminated so it can be smooth? Will the specific
components selected be suitable for my design? Will it be stable enough to
write and study on? How much storage will it have?
Form
and Aesthetics: The form and aesthetics of the table are very important
regarding the whole image as they will be the attracting the user to buy it. It
is made out of wood and then painted white on top. By painting it white, it allows the product to match well with any room aesthetic and look good. It is a colour that makes it look minimalistic and modern. It has a smooth surface which makes
it look shiny and attractive. It doesn’t target a specific gender which makes
it ideal as it increases the target market. It is also small enough to fit in
many apartments and it isn’t bulky. Although this can be very beneficial to
students with small apartments, if someone is looking for something bigger for storage or studying,
they will not be satisfied with this.
I need
to find a suitable measurement for my table in order to make it accessible for
everyone. I can do this by conducting surveys about the measurements of
different students’ rooms and what their preferred measurement for a table like
this is. This will help me get a better idea of my measurements. I can also ask
them if they prefer a plain coloured desk like white or a wooden coloured desk.
Marketability: designing a product that will differ from
the market can be quite challenging. However, the way that this multifunctional
piece of furniture is designed, will attract many users to buy it. It has a
simple yet very effective function. It can be easily adjusted to your height
which can provide a lot of comfort to many people that struggle with finding a
suitable table. Using a multipurpose furniture in an apartment space can make
it easier for you as you will be able to reduce space. Having this design
personalised for you own height, aesthetically pleasing, simple function and
spacious enough to fit your study books can really make it stand out.
Should I include factors such as removable shelves to make it even more customised?
Safety precautions: when designing something it is very
important to take into serious consideration the safety precautions of your
product. This table doesn’t include any handles which might be beneficial as
they would avoid injuries. If nothing is hanging out of the product, it is safer
for everyone as it prevents the risk of hitting on it. There are no rough edges
and the surface is smooth to prevent cuts or injuries. The table is stable
enough and secured using components to prevent it from falling apart. When the
table is folded upwards, it is held in place using components. This prevents it
from unfolding accidentally and possibly causing injuries.
Should I include handles? Should I laminate the surface so
it can be smooth? Should I make the corners of my design curved so there are no
edges? What component can be used to hold the desk in place when it is folded?
User requirements: the users need to be able to figure out
how to work the table. They need to be able to store enough stuff inside as the
main reason of this design is to save space. It is very easy to use as you only
fold and unfold it. It provides storage space suitable for books and stationery
object. The space provided for studying will be enough for someone that has a
small apartment. They might struggle a bit if they have a lot of leaflets or
books but it will be satisfactory. Lastly, it is aesthetically pleasing which
will attract the user.
How much space will my desk have? Should I make it larger so that people can have more space to place their books? How will that affect the price of the table?
After reviewing some of the factors from an existing design
and drawing conclusions from them, I also decided to look at a few other
factors that might influence my design. I decided to form some questions that I
have to keep in mind when designing in order to make sure that I am on the
right path.
Sustainability: should the material that the
table is made out of provide environmental,
social and economic benefits while protecting public health and environment
over their whole life cycle, from the extraction of raw materials until the
final disposal? Does it harm the environment? Is it made out of eco-friendly
material such as but not limited to stainless steel, fiberglass, plastic? Once
the user needs something, will it be easy to take it out of the storage? Once
it reaches the end of its lifetime, will it be able to be recycled? I
previously researched to laminate it. Laminated materials cannot be recycled.
Should I not consider laminating? Can the components of the table be collected
at the end of its lifetime?
Scale and production cost: this depend
on my decisions in a later stage of the project. Previously, I mentioned that
perhaps it can be custom made so it can be the users preferred colour and the
height of the table can be custom made to fit each person individually. This
will make it more personal and will make the user feel the urge to purchase it.
If this is the case, the price will increase to around 170-200 euros which is
something that many people cannot afford. However, if I decide to stick to one
specific design, the scale of production will be mass produced and will reduce
the price to around 130-150 euros which can be seen as more affordable. Should
I go with the cheaper option which will limit the colours and height of the
table or should I make it slightly more expensive which will make the users
feel comfort and more excited as they will have custom made sizes and colours
to match with their vibe?
Materials: since I am aiming to
make my product environmentally friendly, should the materials be
environmentally friendly? Should it be recycled at the end of its lifetime?
Should it not be laminated as later on it will not be recycled. Possible
materials can include wood, fibreglass, a type of metal? Can it be resistant to heat,
chemicals and water as it will be exposed to the weather? Can it be made out of
materials that are easy to clean and will not rust or the colour will not fade
away as it will collect a lot of dust and should be cleaned every week or so?
It might be able to withstand corrosion. Should the material chosen be hard so
it does not crack or deform into another shape? Should standardized components
such as hinges, bolts, nuts or screws be used to assemble everything together.
I will be dedicating a blog specifically to materials and components as a lot
will be later defined after the materials are set. Some of which include price,
lifespan, quality etc.
In the next blog post, I will be adding reviews of this project and analysing them.
References:
https://www.decoist.com/fold-down-desks/fold-down-desk-from-west-elm/
You looked at this in detail however really you did not look at reviews to find out what the users actually thought which is really the basis of all product design that it works for the end user.
ReplyDelete