Research: Design boards

Before starting the renderings, exploded views and orthographic views, I wanted to look at some more examples of design boards.
However, prior to my research, I want to express some concerns about last terms design boards.


Compared to the first term, I believe that this was a massive improvement. I like the attention to detail and the overall layout. However, I consider the engineering drawings (bottom right corner) quite useless. The point of  engineering drawings is to showcase the dimensions of the designs. However, the diagram is so small you can barely see it. Additionally, it takes up space from the renderings which could be bigger.
Therefore, I decided that this term, I would create 5 design boards (1 for each design) which do not include orthographic views. However, at the end of the design boards, I will include all the engineering drawings together at one final design board at the end of the gallery. This means that each engineering drawing will be bigger, thus showcasing the dimensions properly. 

Lastly, I believe that this design board is somewhat busy. Therefore, I want to create simpler design boards this term.


To summarise: There will be 5 design boards (1 for each design) and at the end there will be engineering drawings separately (the engineering drawings may not be placed in the gallery for the design boards. They may be placed in a separate gallery).

Now, for the layout, I will be researching some design boards.
RESEARCH:

This was the first one I looked at that stood out to me. First thing I noticed was that there were no exploded views. This made me realise that the product they showcase does not have multiple layers so exploded views are not necessary. Therefore, I decided that I would exclude exploded views as they are not vital in my designs as they do not have many layers like my previous project outcomes.
I like how the text is in a very small font with the images dominating most of the design board. 
I also like how there is a big render on the top left corner which showcases the design the best. I will also do this with my design boards. I will choose the best render and then enlarge it. 
I like how they included sketches in the design and also showcased different perspectives of the design. I find sketches vital as they show the development of a rough design into a polished outcome.


I decided to research something different in order to see if I could potentially make my design boards different this term. I saw this board which only includes pictures. Personally, I need text for context so I believe that I could not use this approach. However, I do like the colour scheme sample they included at the bottom left corner. 


I really like the portrait layout instead of the landscape one. I think it makes it easier for the user to follow and makes it look more organised. Additionally, I also like how they added the images and then outlined them in a square. I could potentially try that out too. 



What will I include: The first page will  be the cover sheet that I created in class for one of my tasks (I may change the colours to fit my colour scheme).
Then, the 5 design boards will include colour scheme, renders, sketches, materials, measurements and components. 

I decided to fully exclude the exploded views. WHY? Exploded views are there to serve one purpose and this is to showcase the different layers inside the design. However, my lamps do not have layers. They have very simple components which can be showcased through the renders. Exploded views are not always necessary. Especially now as the designs do not have a lot of layers. Lastly, they take up a lot of space which would not be an effective use of my designs. 

Comments