The anatomy of...

During todays class, we were assigned to create a blog based on the anatomy related to our project. I am quite unfamiliar with the terminology of lamps so this blog will definitely be very beneficial in order to help me be more precise and use the correct language. 

I first decided to trace a lamp before starting to name each part. I used this image to trace the lamp figure:

This was the first lamp I decided to research. The desk lamp/ night lamp.


Now, I want to further describe each part of the lamp. Taking it from the top to the bottom, these are the descriptions:

Terminology 

1. Top diameter: The overall distance at the top of the lamp
2. Lamp finial: Keeps the lamp shade in place
3. Harp: vertical shade support and attachment into the socket
4. UL label: label that ensures that this has been through testing and it is safe
5. Light bulb: Emits the light 
6. Lamp shade: It dims the light so it isn't very bright
7. Insulation sleeve: Adjusts socket to switch and base
8. Switch: It turns the light on and off
9. Neck: connects the lighting element to the base
10. Socket: socket for bulb
11. Lamp frame: the frame of the lamp
12. Lamp base: The main body of the lamp fixture which is attached to the lighting element
13. Spider fitter:  the frame for the lampshade 
14. Cord: the wiring for electricity 
15. On and off switch: Turns the light on and off


Since I learned so much from the first lamp, I decided to also trace a ceiling lamp and a standing lamp in order to ensure that I know more terminology.
In my diagram above, I added a spider fitter, however, there are more fitters as options. 

All the images were traced from the website referenced, however, I wanted to draw them myself in order to further familiarise myself with them. I think that tracing them out by myself made me remember them and identify them better.
These are some of the other fitters I could find. There is also a diagram on how to measure a lamp properly which will be very beneficial for my measurement designs. This was very useful to understand the different options I can consider.
I always knew that these existed, however, I was unaware of their terminology.

I also found many light shadings:


As seen from this diagram, there are multiple options considering lamp shades. Now, when I start researching more lamps, I will have more accurate terminology to use. 



In this diagram, a ceiling lamp can be seen. I decided to sketch this out too in order to familiarise myself with one more lamp.

Terminology:

1. Mounting strap: Attaches it to the ceiling
2. Canopy: Covers the wires and mounting strap, attaching it to the wall
3. Nipple: Connects the hanger loop to the canopy
4. Hanger loop: Where the chain is hanged from
5. Chain/ rod: Used to hang the lamp from the ceiling
6. Shade holder: Holds the shade 
7. Socket: socket for bulb to be placed inside
8. Shade ring: Where the shade is connected to the socket 
9. Shade: Placed above the light to dim it.
10. Washer: connects the bulb into the shade ring and socket
11. Bulb: Emits the light 



It is evident, as seen in these picture, that different lamp styles come with different parts and terminology. 

Therefore, when I finalise my sketches, I can definitely come back to this post and add specific terminology for my own designs. 

It was very interesting to familiarise myself with different parts of the lamp. I am aware that I did not explore all the lamps that I will be using in my collection, however, I am planning on looking at their terminology in more depth in the future. This was a perfect time to carry out this exercise as I will be starting my initial ideas next, therefore, I have the opportunity to use more accurate terminology. 



Conclusion: 
Was this beneficial? I think this is one of the most beneficial researches I carried out so far. Even though I was aware of the existence of these elements, I never knew the accurate terminology. I would always try and describe them instead of inserting their actual name which made my blogs unprofessional. I have never designed lamps before so I think this was a great exercise to carry out before starting my designing. I will definitely be looking at more definitions in the future to ensure that I sound as professional as possible. 
I will try and use this terminology in my initial ideas too.


References: 
Stratosphere (n.d.) Parts of a lamp (table and floor lamp diagram). Available at: https://www.homestratosphere.com/lamp-parts/ [Accessed: 05/05/21]

Comments

  1. Okay, very good - as you mentioned, namecheck some of this terminology as you go along and consider their use in your final design boards at the end of the term.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment