Research: Materials
After looking at the initial measurements, I wanted to look at possible materials I can use so I can start finalising everything.
PALEOLTHIC ERA:
For my Paleolithic lamp, I decided to create a lamp out of stone. Therefore, I had to research what type of stone I wanted to include.
I looked at 3 different types of rocks to see which one is more ideal. I looked at advantages and disadvantages of each in order to pick the best one.
The first one is called Basalt rock fibre.
Advantages: resistant to water, alkalis, salts and acids. Nature friendly. Recyclable. Production cost is low.
Disadvantages: Breakable and low in withstanding bending force.
(civil engi, 2019)
The next stone is called Quartz:
Advantages: Easy to customise, durable, no need for sealing, moisture resistant, easy to maintain.
Disadvantages: High cost, seams are visible,
(Baez, 2019)
The next is Quartzite:
Advantages: Unique slabs, similar to marble aesthetic, durable, heat and moist resistant.
Disadvantages: Doesn't come in many colours, high cost.
(Baez, 2019)
Although both these type of stones have a lot of pros, I do want my collection to be affordable. Therefore, I believe that Basalt rock is more suitable.
I think that so far this is a good option as it ticks my specification. It is environmentally friendly, affordable and resistant to different conditions. Additionally, the disadvantage can be an advantage in this case as the people manufacturing it would be able to sculpt it and bend it more easily. Lastly, this rock has a beautiful natural finish and texture which will make the outcome look more aesthetically pleasing.
I also researched about limestone as I looked at the Estonian academy collection, however, the first thing I read about it was how destructive it is to extract limestone from the environment. Therefore, I decided to completely eliminate it.
MESOLITHIC ERA:
From my research on 'cavemen furniture', I realised that they used a lot of pine wood:
Advantages: it is a softwood so it is less expensive and fast growing. It is lightweight. Resists shrink and swelling.
Disadvantages: often has knots and knotholes, can be easily damaged.
(orangeries UK, 2015)
Next is oak wood:
I think that pine wood is the most suitable. The lamp will be 1.83m in height, therefore, a lightweight wood is perfect for this. Additionally, it is more affordable for people to purchase. The knotholes which are considered a disadvantage, are beneficial as I want to showcase the 'imperfections' of the wood and add a more interesting texture. Lastly, I will coat it with varnish, making it more difficult to damage it. I think pine wood is a good option. It has a nice texture and rich colour which will make it very visually pleasing.
NEOLITHIC ERA:
I will be using pottery for this design. The three types of pottery include: earthenware, stoneware, porcelain.
Earthenware advantages: Hard, very high melting point, corrosion resistant, inexpensive and very available.
Disadvantages: weak in tension, poor shock resistant, can crack.
Stoneware advantages: very durable, resistant to scratches and stains, easy to clean, waterproof
Disadvantages: It can crack with temperature, heavy to lift, they can scratch counter tops.
The last type is porcelain.
Porcelain advantages: hard, inexpensive, available, corrosion resistant.
Disadvantages: fragile, low impact strength.
I think that the most suitable one is Stoneware. Heavy to lift can be a positive as it would not be easily knocked down. Additionally, I will add felt pads at the bottom of the lamp to ensure that it will not scratch the surface.
BRONZE AGE:
For the bronze age, I decided that I would not make it out of bronze as it is very heavy. However, I established that I would add wood for the structure and then coat it with bronze.
The wood will be pine wood.
'Bronze plating is an electroplating process. The process uses electricity to create a thin layer of the plating material over the item. While not all metals can be used as an electroplating material, bronze is one metal that can, as are metals like, gold, silver, and brass. Most metals have no problem with being electroplated, either for looks, protection of the piece, or restoration of the piece.' (general brite plating- blog, 2019)
Since it is the bronze age, I want it to resemble the same colour scheme. This process is easy to make and it is not time consuming which will inevitably make the manufacturing costs lower.
IRON AGE:
This will be made out of iron.
Stainless steel advantages: resistance to corrosion, smooth surface, durable, strong, aesthetically pleasing, recyclable.
Disadvantages: smudges easily, expensive,
Aluminum advantages: durable, lightweight, corrosion resistant, ductile, 100% recyclable
Disadvantages: not very strong
I think aluminium is idea for this as it is lightweight and also environmentally friendly.
Conclusion: To re-cap on this blog post:
Mesolithic era: Pine wood
Neolithic era: Stoneware
Bronze age: Pine wood coated with bronze
Iron age: Aluminium
References:
Civil engi (2019) Basalt rock fibre- advantages and disadvantages. Available at: https://civilengi.com/basalt-rock-fiber-advantages-and-disadvantages/ [Accessed: 23/05/21]
Baez, S. (2019) Quartz vs Quartzite: which is better for your countertop. Available at: https://marble.com/articles/quartz-vs-quartzite-which-is-better-for-your-countertop [Accessed: 23/05/21]










Comments
Post a Comment