Following my initial ideas in the previous blog post, I wanted to complete further research regarding lamps that have the human figure as the lamp base. This would give me ideas on how to develop my designs with a more modern twist and make them more attractive.
What I realised in my initial ideas is that the stance of the statues is very static. I could implement designs which show more movement to make it more elegant.
I completed some research and found examples from various designers that I could get inspiration from:
This one was the first design I looked at. The first thing that stands out to me is the colour combination. I like how the body matches the lamp shading as it makes it look more minimalistic and coherent.
However, for some reason, when the lamp base is so realistic, it freaks me out. Talking from personal experience, I would not like to have a lamp like that in my bedroom or living room.
I think that the abstraction and simplicity of the statues in the paleolithic era will make the overall design look less creepy.
However, in these specific designs, I like the motions of the figures. Even though the poses they created are static, they used motions that break the body and create more shapes within. It makes it more interesting to look at.
I could perhaps draw inspiration from one of those statues and add my own motion to make it modern.
In the previous commentary, I mentioned that super realistic lamp designs creep me out. Therefore, I looked at the other end of the spectrum, which are stickmen designs. Looking at this pose, I really like the movement of it. The lamp is even tilted which creates a sense of movement and is interesting. Additionally, the designs of the lamp body is elegant and delicate which means that it takes up less space than the previous one.
This was a concern of mine in my initial ideas. One of the designs had more volume which means that as a floor lamp and not a table lamp, it would take up a lot of space. Therefore, if I decide to proceed with a floor instead of a table lamp, I need to make sure that it does not take up too much space.
In this lamp design, similarly to the second one, a more unrealistic version of a body is depicted. What is different and stands out to me in this lamp are the hands that go over the lamp shading. It elongates the lamp and makes it look more visually pleasing. I think it is a great idea to add such unique elements that further enhance the movement.
I could also consider this in my designs in order to make it more complex. I could add the lamp in the middle of the statue and the head perhaps peeping on the top.
This is a different example from the rest I looked at. Unlike the other ones, the head is visible here. It depicts a gothic woman holding the lamp. The way she is holding the lamp makes the design very creative and innovative. The way her hands are placed (elbows outwards) creates a nice curve that is complimented by the curve of the lamp shading.
Even though I like this design, I think that it would not be suitable in my designs. This lamp has a more realistic figure on it and the face does not look creepy. Whereas the statues I am looking at are very worn down, which makes the face oddly scary and creepy.
Conclusion:
These lamp designs definitely made me realise that I like the idea of a floor lamp with a human body. It looks interesting and nice. In my development stage, I will try and apply some of the elements I liked in this post.
This includes:
1. Elements going out of the lamp such as the 4th design.
2. Colour scheme being the same throughout or changing to create contrast.
3. Adding some movement to the static body.
4. Add the lamp in the middle of the statue
Comments
Post a Comment