Poster: Research and planning
During our first class in week 7, we were assigned to create a logo/ poster/ book cover for the project that we are doing this term.
MY INITIAL THOUGHTS:
My first thoughts were to create a poster that reflects on the theme of my products so I can use it as a cover sheet for my design boards on my website. I think this is a good opportunity to utilise this task in order to create a final piece.
I also want the layout to be very simple in order to create a more minimalistic feel to it. I do not have a specific colour scheme yet as my project includes wood, stone, iron and bronze which are different colours.
Before noting down more initial ideas, I wanted to add some background research to see other examples of such designs.
RESEARCH:
I think that this poster really stands out and has an impact on the viewer. It makes me want to stare at it and observe the different elements and colours in each. I think that the white bird with the writing inside is a really cool idea. I could perhaps look into creating an outline of cavemen and then adding letters inside.
Additionally, I like the colour gradient and I can definitely consider a gradient in my own design.
In this poster, I really like how the focal point is the title which is framed. I also like how the typography is the same with the exception being the 2016 in order to emphasize on the date. It is evident that the colours match the theme well as orange and light blue are often associated with summer as they give off happy and summery vibes. They are also complementary colours so they work well together. This shows how much impact colour has on a poster. If this was in another colour it would not give off the same meaning.
I like how the title is centred in the middle too to further draw more attention to it.
This poster was the one that generated the idea for the overall theme. I definitely want to use a similar element of the lamp and light as it looks very aesthetically pleasing and showcases what the project is about. I think this is very effective on a poster.
IMPORTANT POINTS:
1. Title of the project: TROGLODYTE- which means 'cavemen'. It sounds very nice and fancy which is why I decided to name it troglodyte. I will be using this headline for this poster, however, this is not final. I may go back and change it in the future if I think of something better.
2. Does it have a tagline: LET THERE BE LIGHT- I think this is a very effective and catchy tagline which also shows the elements in my collection
3. A significant image: Since my concept is 'evolutionary' lamps, I think that I will depict the image of evolution shown below. Then, the last person will be holding a lamp that will be shedding light onto the title (as seen in the lamp poster above).
Additionally, since we have to create a hand-drawn design which will then be digitalised, I think I will draw the evolutionary picture and then add it to procreate in order to add everything else.
This is the design I want to create. However, since there will be 5 products, I want to add 5 versions of evolution. I think I will eliminate the first ape and then the last person will be holding the lamp.
4. Dominant colour: I will keep everything fairly neutral as my collection is based on neutral colours.
5. Which theme is it based on: Primitive eras
6. Description of the project, what is it? Describe the function and the inspiration behind my 5 lamps.
7. Product information- industry area and who is it for? Product design targeting 21-35 year olds.
8. Release date? June 5th
Now that I have the basic concept of my idea, it was time to roughly sketch it out in order to see if I like the layout and design that I have created in my head:
I think this design works very well with my project. I think it will look cool and I really like the theme of it. I am glad I did some research prior to this design as it helped me generate more ideas for it. In the next post, I will be uploading the final version of this poster.





I think this describes your project well - are you going to produce a digital version, perhaps, or considering using a variation on this as part of your project presentation?
ReplyDelete