Initial Ideas: Paleolithic Era

In this blog post, I will be discussing some initial ideas created for this lamp. 
In the previous blog post 'further project development' I realised that this lamp, because it is made out of stone, will not look good as any other lamp except a desk lamp.

Therefore, I decided to explore different ways to create a desk lamp using stone.

In another previous blog post, I created a brainstorm that included the aspects of each era that I am particularly interested in exploring. During the paleolithic era, I am interested in exploring the statues they created and the tools they used. In my research, I found out that they created many statues of women as they believe that the era was female-dominated. 

I am very interested to explore a lamp which shows appreciation towards females. 

It is important to note that there was not a lot of research prior to these sketches. These are my first thoughts. I will research more and apply that further research to my development in order to make the sketches more accurate. 


This image was my first inspiration. I used their tools as example to create lamp fixtures. As seen in the images, the rocks are very raw and undeveloped. They seem very rough and unprocessed. I wanted to use that shape as an inspiration.


This was the first desk lamp/ night lamp I came up with. It is very simple, however, looks very childish to me. I tried to add many shapes similar to the ones of their tools in a circle and then add the light in the middle of them. However, I quickly realised that this era has much more meaningful and symbolic elements I can include. I did not like this idea, however, I still decided to try one more design in order to explore more views of their tools.
As mentioned in my research, they did not have a lot of tools as it was an undeveloped era. Therefore, this limits the selection of shapes I have to choose from.
This was the second design I came up with which is more simple and fairly basic. I tried to use the tool shape as the lamp base. I also tried to use a rectangular block as the lamp shading. However, I do not like the unprocessed base shape with the symmetrical shading shape. It creates a weird and awkward contrast which does not make them look good together. 
I could perhaps try out different lamp shading shapes, however, I realised that inspiration from the statues is more broad and I can absorb more information from them.


Therefore, these initial ideas made me eliminate the thought of using their tools as inspiration. I will research and base this lamp primarily on statues. 



This was the first initial idea with the statue theme that I completed. It was inspired by the Venus of Tan-Tan, one of the oldest known human representations. I really like the idea of using the body of the figure as the lamp base and then covering it with the lamp shading. I also like this design as it is a very memorable and unique statue which represents the first ever human representation. This is definitely one way to depict evolution in my designs. 
I think it is very unique and aesthetically pleasing. In this particular design, I could have added a different lamp shade on top as I feel like it does not match well with the bottom.
I can use the shading on top to make the design more modern and make it stand out. 
Overall, I like the concept of this design and I think it can be developed into something great.
Drawing inspiration from the previous design, I looked at another statue, called Venus of Willendorf. I liked this statue as it was different from the previous one. 
I also really like this statue because it promotes body positivity, not only the 'perfect body' we see on social media. I was thinking that the previous one would also look good as a floor lamp, however, this one is more bulky which would not be suitable for a floor lamp. This would be way more suitable as a table lamp or even a night lamp if you scale it down. 
I like the lamp shading in this lamp as it is similar to the shape of the actual head. It looks good with the body and has an overall nice shape. I really like the idea of implementing such bodies in my designs and I definitely want to develop it in the next blogs. 


It is evident in the last two initial ideas that I really like the body as a concept and I am definitely planning on developing it in my initial ideas. However, I also wanted to experiment more with my outcomes. I decided to also include a head in my designs in order to see if it looks good. I used inspiration from another statue I found. 
I used the same facial structure and then added the same hemi-sphere lamp shade. I noticed that all my designs with figures have a lot of hemi-spheres as lamp shades. Therefore, in my development, I definitely have to explore more shapes in order to find more unique and appealing ones. 
Additionally, I found this design rather scary. I think that the face looks odd and the fabric behind looks scary. I would feel uncomfortable having a head lamp in my room. When the light emits downwards, more shadings are gonna appear on the face, which may make it distorted or even more scary. Therefore, I decided to stick with human body figures inspired by statues in this paleolithic lamp.


I used ProCreate to create these images. 

This blog made me realise the following things:
1. The Paleolithic lamp will be based on human figures. 
2. I am still not sure if this will be a table lamp. Looking at the human figure, I can possibly create a great floor lamp. I will conduct some research in the next blog and the development and see which one is more suitable. 
3. I like bodies to be portrayed, not faces, as that seems slightly scaring to me.
4. I need to experiment more with the lamp shading in order to make it more unique. 

Comments