Initial ideas: Neolithic era

For my Neolithic era brainstorm, I chose a few themes that could influence my designs. 

These include: farming and agriculture, pottery, monuments and their tools 



This was my first inspiration. As seen from my initial research, pottery was a great advancement in this era. Therefore, I wanted to depict this by creating a lamp which is identical to one of the pottery examples. My first instinct was to turn the vase upside down and then trace it in order to make it a table lamp. 

This is probably my favourite design out of all designs on this blog. It represents the era well and it is a very unique outcome. I like the use of the pattern on this and I feel like the colour scheme compliments it a lot. I think it was a good start to forming a new product that I can examine closely in my development stage. 


This was the second design I looked at. In my research, I discovered that this was the era of stone circles. I decided to add two layers of stones in a circle to create a 'chandelier' looking ceiling lamp. I have mixed feelings about this design. 
Even though it represents one of their monuments, I do not find it very aesthetically pleasing or interesting enough for someone to purchase it. 
However, I still think that the monument concept could be developed to something great. Therefore, I will not discard this idea as I want to further develop it in my development stage.



This was another design I looked at. I decided to take a more literal approach to this design and create a replica of an axe. I immediately discarded the thought of this idea. I think that it looks odd. I could not picture it co-existing in a modern space. 
I always like my designs to have hidden meanings to them, and not be exact replicas. I think the axe is also a concept I would not like a person to have in their room. I do not like the aesthetics of it and it looks very rough.


This was another design of monuments I looked at. I like this one much more than the previous design. This is also a ceiling lamp, however, the way the stones overlap and form different shapes makes the design more interesting.
I also like how much it represents this monuments and looks like it. I will definitely consider developing this in the development stage. 
I think the stonehenge is very aesthetically pleasing to look at and it is definitely something that many people recognise immediately. 



For this design, I drew inspiration from the top left tool that they used. I tried to replicate the shape in a more interesting way for a desk lamp. I also tried to create a similar shape to a tree, in order to replicate the agriculture and the farming that existed then. 
I thought I had a solid concept formed, however, I do not like the execution. A reason may be that this design was poorly made and rushed. However, I do not like the simplicity of this design. I believe that I can create more intricate and detailed designs which replicate this era more. 


Conclusion:

Even though the tools were a significant part of this era, I want to focus on either the monuments or the pottery. The pottery was a great advancement in this era and it contains a lot of very impressive designs, therefore, I would really like to look at it in more detail in my development stage. 

Comments