Initial ideas: The Iron age
Finally, after 4 other initial ideas posts, I am reaching the end. This will be the final blog post regarding initial ideas. The plan after this blog is as follows:
1. Finalise what era with what type of lamp
2.More artist research.
3. Development (finish by the end of this week)
4. Research on materials and colour schemes.
5. Software design and 3D.
As the deadline is fast approaching, I also need to increase my working pace in order to make sure that I have everything ready on time.
It is evident that in the other posts, I explored a lot the use of a desk/ night lamp. The only type I did not explore was the wall lamp. Therefore, I decided that this design would be me strictly exploring a wall lamp.
These were the outcomes:
This was my first inspiration for this specific lamp. This is the Battersea shield which is one of the most known examples of iron age shields.
Therefore, I decided to quite literally use both the shape and the texture of it to create something 3D.
This is a side view of the idea. I thought of extracting the top circle and making it into another layer. The idea behind this is to place two lamps, one behind the bottom layer and one behind the top layer to increase light intensity. I also thought of making the texture translucent to create an illusion of more coloured reflections.
Comments: Even though this resembles the era quite accurately, I cannot envision it being hung up on a wall with these specific colours. The shape looks quite odd to me too.
I can definitely see potential in this design if it is developed properly. I think the idea of a shield is a great starting point for my wall design.
After all, the shield was a very pivotal point in that era. Taking it more literally, a shield on the wall can be interpreted as 'protecting the home', which I feel like it a great concept.
The next design was inspired by the Aylesford Bucket. Just like the previous one, I wanted to design something identical to it.
WHY DO I DO THIS? My strategy is to first make the product as close to the actual reference as possible, and then add a touch of modern creativity in my development stage. I realised that this helps me a lot when it comes to looking at errors or what can be improved.
My idea was to create a lamp that resembles a spotlight. However, I do not like the outcome of this at all. I simply think that this design is too bulky and cannot be developed into a polished outcome. I believe that this design should be more elegant and unique than just a block of iron.
The next design was inspired by this picture which shows the tools they used.
I decided that I was going to use the basic shape of the sword and then add multiple of them next to each other. They would be planks of iron which would have the light bulb hidden behind them.
I actually really like how minimalistic and effective this design is as a whole. I think this has potential to be developed into a unique outcome that can easily fit into any room aesthetic.
The next design was inspired by the carved head. I decided to use replicate this into a sun for the wall.
As of right now, I think that this design looks rather childish. However, if I combine it with the first idea, create more layers and add more symmetry, I think I can create a great outcome. I like the idea of the sun with the shield combined. I also think that the sun for a wall is very suitable and would look very aesthetically pleasing if I approach this in a more contemporary/ modern way.
Additionally, primitive people relied a lot on sun in order to hunt or do any necessities of life as they did not have power sources, therefore, a sun would be a good inspiration.
Conclusion: This was the last blog post regarding initial ideas. Even though I am not satisfied with the outcomes, I think I have a good base for my development stage.
As of now, I think I will be combining the sun with the shield to form a unique outcome with layers and texture. I can envision it in my head pretty nicely, therefore, I am hoping that it turns out as good as I expect it to.
I also like the idea, as mentioned, of a shield 'protecting the walls of the home'.








You have found even more good contextual links from your research to your 'initial' ideas (I'm finding it hard to call these initial as you have already gone through such a vigorous process so far). it is a shame that these ideas don't satisfy you, as I think for the purposes of this project at this level, they are very sophisticated.
ReplyDelete