Formation of initial ideas

This is the step before starting to form my initial ideas. Over the last week, I completed 5 posts based on five eras. Even though those posts are short, it was very time consuming to find and filter the information. 

At the end of each blog, I noted down possible areas that I could use as themes. However, as mentioned previously, I was quite unsatisfied with the research completed. Therefore, I though that this is a vital post before my initial ideas in order to properly gather my information and try to target specific research. 

I thought of creating a brainstorm with the materials and research areas that interest me. I used the bullet points in each post as a reference and then narrowed it down to 1-2 specific themes I want to research in more detail.

This is my brainstorm:

The first thing I wanted to note down are the materials. I mentioned that I want to create a collection with 5 different materials. Therefore, I wanted each material in each era to be different. Based on the research, I decided that those would be the chosen materials. However, more research will undergo to find the specific type of wood (example) to create one of the lamps.

It was important to me to note down the material in order to keep it in mind when creating my initial ideas. I could not create something very delicate with stone, for example, so materials were the most important thing for me to establish before starting initial idea. I am glad that I added a different material for each era based on the research and what was dominant in that era. 


The first era I brainstormed was the paleolithic era, the first one. I will be using stone for this era (research will determine what kind of stone) and I will base my lamp one of these two factors. Either on the tools they used of the statues they created as art. I will brainstorm both in my initial ideas and then research these in more depth to see how I can develop one outcome. 

The second era was the Mesolithic era. I will be using wood as a material. I wanted one of my lamps to be specifically designed using cavemen paintings. Therefore, I think it is appropriate to make this lamp inspired by cavemen.

The third era was the Neolithic era. In this era, there were some great advancements seen which I wanted to include in the evolution. I want to use clay for this era. I think it was appropriate to get inspiration from the advanced pottery their start to make, as well as the farming and the monuments they had. I will be brainstorming these and figuring out which one is more suitable.

The fourth era was the Bronze era. This will be evidently made out of Bronze. I will draw inspiration from the pyramids and the engraved symbols to create something more delicate, just like their tools during that era.

Lastly, the Iron age, where I will be inspired by their fort shapes, religion or their advancements in technology.

 

In this blog post, I established what areas I am particularly interested to carry out more research. I definitely decided to proceed with different materials and themes for each lamp in order to create more diversity.

Additionally, I also have to establish which type of lamp for which era, however, I want to figure that out in my initial ideas. 


Method:

After this blog, 5 initial blogs will follow which will be sketches of some first thoughts. Once I have my final sketches complete, I will narrow each era down to one theme (I chose 2-3 themes in this blog for each era). Then, I will proceed to research that theme in greater depth and then develop my ideas into finished pieces. 

Comments

  1. Considered approach based on the five previous research posts into different eras. Like the idea of creating a range of products under one 'umbrella' that reflects all of the eras you have looked at over the past posts. Are you concerned that you might focus on one design over another? Do you have a preference for a particular era, for instance?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment