Components and process: Part 2- PLAN CHANGES

 In the previous post, I added the first 3 designs and their components. In this blog, I will focus only on the plan changes of the iron age.

I found many technical difficulties, therefore, I had to improve them before designing. I had a very brief description of the measurements of this lamp which is why everything turned out very wrong. 


Iron age:


PLAN CHANGES:
The width of the lamp base was set to be 30cm. However, I realised that is too much. Therefore, I made some plan changes. 
I quickly realised that this lamp needed a lot of technical changes to function, therefore, I decided to break it down in the following steps.

First step was to change the thickness of the base lamp. 
The orange shaded parts represent the lamp base. The lamp base will be a total of 5cm thickness in order to fit in the lamp fixture. 
The smaller hole of the top will be 4cm in order to fit the lamp fixture. 
The total height of the lamp base will be around 6-8cm.

Each rod hole will be of 1cm diameter. The rods will be 1cm diameter in order to ensure that they fit exactly. I will also use Loctite epoxy metal glue to ensure that the rod stay in place.

The next part was to consider how I would properly secure the lamp fixture onto the lamp base. 


I will be using the same lamp fixture as seen in the image. However, in order to secure it in place, I will make the ring of the fixture (coloured in red in both pictures) 5cm. The hole will be 4cm which means that the ring will stop the lamp fixture from moving. To further secure this, I will add the lid (in the image below) at the outside part of the lamp base to keep it in place (as seen in the second picture below). 
The lamp base will also have a hole for the wire to pass through as seen in the image.

 

After finally understanding how the lamp fixture will be places inside, it was finally time to see how the plastic or glass cover would be secured. I thought that the best way of securing this is using a method of foldings as seen in the images. 

      

The cover would be about 12 cm in order to fit the lamp. Therefore, the covering with the lampbase would be 17cm.
With the changes made so far, this is how my new design looks like.

Thankfully, these are not drastic changes and I can still have a very similar shape to the original. 



Lastly, how to hang this up on the wall. 
I will be installing 2 D-rings on the back of the lamp as seen in the picture. However, since it will be iron, I cannot screw it on. Therefore, I will be melting the two together in order to combine them.


Then, I will add two screw eyes onto the wall.


The D-rings will go through the screw eyes which will ensure that the design is stable.



Bronze Age:

This design is a bit more complex technically. 



The first thing I decided to do was break down the different components. I used different colours for the different components. 
The colours in the left diagram correspond to the colours in the right design.
I added the different dimensions for each layer.


I also added the red diagram to show the direction of the wire. Additionally, the circles in between each layer represent the spotlights which will be placed. 

Comments

  1. Very good attention to detail. Good troubleshooting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment