Components and Process: Part 1
In this blog post, I will be specifying the different tools and components that will be used for each lamp.
The first lamp, is the paleolithic lamp:
This lamp will be made out of stone (specify what stone in later post). It will have a classic oval lampshade (specify the material in later post too).
The stone will be carved out using carving tools in order to form the desired shape. Now, regarding the lamp inside, some people may find it a challenge to implement it; however, I think that this method will work.
I will use a SLIP UNO fitter in order to stabilise the lampshade onto the lamp neck. To illustrate the next elaborate step, I will be using photographs.
This will be the socket of which the lamp will be placed on.
However, I will create a dent inside the stone in order to submerge the blue part inside. The yellow part of the socket will be outside the dent.
I will use a 50cm masonry drill beat in order to drill a hole from the top of the stone statue to the bottom in order to pass the wire. I will use a 1cm diameter drill so the wire can fit inside.
Once the wire is passed from the dent socket all the way to the bottom, I will use 4 soft components in order to prevent the stone from scratching the surface and to make it easier for the wire to pass underneath.
After, I will add the fitter onto the yellow part of the socket and secure it with a circular component seen in the first picture in order to ensure that both the lamp and the lampshade will not move.
Once the lampshade and fitter are secured onto the structure, I will add the light bulb.
The second lamp is the mesolithic:
For this lamp, first thing I will have to find is a tree stump. Then, adding varnish and wood preserver to ensure that it will stay in good condition.
Then, you have to sand down the base of the lamp and also the end of each branch to form a smooth flat surface. At the end of each branch, there has to be a dent (just like the previous process) in order to fit the socket. However, in contrast with the previous one, this will not be drilled all the way to the bottom.
The tree will have a very delicate shape so it would be difficult to drill and pass the wire through the branches. Therefore, once the socket is submerged into the hole, you will drill a hole perpendicularly to the socket and then pass the wire outside the structure. Using clips, I will secure the wire at the back of the lamp by following the natural wood structure. I will also paint the wire the same colour as the branch in order to not stand out.
Another solution was to carve a path on the outside of the wood for the wire to be placed inside, however, this will end up being very costly and time consuming.
TECHNICAL ISSUE: The base of the tree lamp is very thin which may cause it to tilt. Therefore, I will be widening the base to make it more sturdy in my designs.
This lamp is the easiest to construct. It will be made out of pottery (not specified yet). I was thinking of using stained glass, however, it is very expensive.
The bottom part (lamp base) of the design will be solid, whereas the top will be hollow. I will use the same method of submerging the socket into the solid part and then drilling a hole through it for the wire.
The triangular shapes on the design will be gaps in order to emit the light from them.
Conclusion:
Luckily, these designs do not require many components such as screws, which will make the design process way easier than anticipated.
The following blog posts will determine the components used for the other 2 lamps, the materials and the colour scheme.









Good, well considered process here.
ReplyDelete