Class task: Photo doodle
For this class task, we were assigned to use a printed image and then alter it. We were supposed to change the theme of the image and alter the meaning of it. We could draw over it, scratch it, tear it apart and make it unique.
I decided that I was going to choose a specific character from the amazing spiderman comics and then alter their appearance. No one was more suitable than Gwen.
This was the page of the design at first. Gwen has very minimal colours on her appearance and I would consider her and the environment she was in very eerie. She looks powerful, mysterious and scary. I wanted to alter that personality which is depicted in this scene and make her appear more friendly and human-like.
I thought of creating a collage. I decided to cut out the picture as seen in the image, then split it in half and add her body in between. I thought this would create a cool and unique abstract image.
I also decided that I was going to cut out her hands from the image. Her hand gesture was suggesting a fight stance and made her look more powerful. Therefore, I decided to eliminate the hands.
After creating the base, my first step was to change the colour of the background. The background made the design more spooky and mystery as it has a cold blue colour. I also wanted to change her skin tone to resemble a human, add face features and alter her clothing.
This is the final outcome. I am quite happy with how it turned out. I like how the facial features helped transform the emotion this conveys to the audience by making her more friendly.
Comment: This task is kind of directly related to my project. I took the cartoon ready image of Gwen as an inspiration and then altered it to fit a new theme. This is exactly what I am doing with my project. I'm taking the primitive eras as an inspiration but then altering them to form modern outcomes.
I feel as though I have successfully managed to alter the theme and the feeling behind this picture to make Gwen somewhat unrecognisable. It was a fun experience and I enjoyed participating in such task.




This works really well, good use of the task - did any ways of using this approach to your project occur to you as you were working on it?
ReplyDelete