Class Task: Further Project Development
During todays session, we were told to develop one of the ideas in the previous post. I wanted to test out different details to see how the affect the outcome.
It is important to note that I will not be using these sketches most probably in my final designs. These are just quick experiments. In the next blogs I will start my initial ideas.
At the top left is the lamp I liked the most from the previous post. My first instinct was to create a bigger in length in order to see how the shape affects the outcome. I did not like the outcome. It ended up looking very bulky and big which would not be practical in some spaces. It moves away from the concept of light and resembles a bench more.
The next step was to switch the lighting places. In my original design, the lamp is placed in the middle with stones on top and bottom. In this design, I tried to make two lighting areas and in between them the stone. For some reason, this makes me think of traffic lights and glow sticks. I did not like the outcome of it. I think it will be too bright and it looks slightly weird to me.
The next design (bottom left), I just simply changed the colour of the design. In my research blog posts, I mentioned that in the eras, some of the art was coated with gold. I tried to coat it too in order to move away from my initial colour but I did not like the outcome. It does not have a lot of contrast and it looks odd. This shows me how much colour can affect an outcome and transform it completely. I need to be very careful and cautious when choosing colours.
Moving to the right, I added a different type of detail to create the separation between the lamp and the stone. I kind of like this abstract outcome and I feel like it works well with the crack.
In my last design, I created the same design as the previous one without the crack. I think this completely changes the image and makes it less attractive. I definitely think that if such design will be considered, I need imperfections such as the crack as it helps make it more unique.
This blog post helped me understand how much shape, detailing and colour can alter the overall image of something. I will definitely closely consider every aspect when I start my initial ideas.
Conclusion:
Even though this is not my actual development of products, it was a good warm up exercise to start getting used to this process again. It has been about 2 months since I developed some initial sketches so I was slightly rusty in the beginning.
These outcomes are not my best of work, however, that is simply based on the fact that these were rough sketches with no research to back them up, just to start generating more ideas.
I cannot wait to actually start forming my initial ideas.

Comments
Post a Comment