Software Process: Mesolithic and Neolithic

In this blog, I will be explaining the process for the two lamp designs. 

Mesolithic:


This was the first design I created and I forgot to document every part of this process, therefore, I will be explaining it. I downloaded a basic log from the warehouse. Then, I exploded it and started editing branches off and adding more branches. This was a few steps into adding and removing branches. This was a very time consuming process which I was not expecting.


Then, I added 'create component' to make the branches one part. I used a light bulb from the warehouse and added it onto the longer branches.
I used the circular shape and the push/pull tool to create the lamp shading. 



I will not be including wires in this. I think this design ended up being very successful. The process was very time consuming and frustrating as my computer has difficulties processing everything. However, I definitely think that it was worth it.


Because of the lack of screenshots in this design, I remembered to take more screenshots for the next. 
Neolithic:

I used this marble vase as a base to build my design on. 


I used the circular tool to create the bottom and top layers. I also used the bucket tool to paint all of it white in order to have a blank canvas. 


Then, I created a 20 cm base for the lamp to be placed on. 


Then, I used the move tool to add it inside the design.

Then, I used the circle tool to create the hole on the bottom for the wire.


Since stoneware can scratch easily, I added circles at the bottom of the design to resemble felt pads. I extruded them using the push pull tool. I used the bucket tool, selected 'fabrics' and then added it onto the circles. 
It was time to create the pattern. 


Once I had my structure complete, it was time to add the pattern. This pattern was particularly hard to create on a dome shape.
I was very unfamiliar with patterns on curved shapes, which is why this was a frustrating and time consuming process.


I used the 'rotate' tool and the 'move' tool to shift them towards their desired place. I then selected the 'intersect faces with model'


I deleted the triangles and was left with the outline of them.


I created a  circle using the 'circle' tool and then extruded it using the 'push/pull' tool.


I used the bucket tool to add colour


In the transparent sections (triangles and layer below), I removed one of the layers to create more dimension. 


Then, using the bucket tool again, I made the triangles and the circular layer below transparent. 

Comments