3D prototype

During our class, we were assigned to create some 3D prototypes of our project.
It is evident that I have not yet finalised my designs or ideas. This means that I still do not have accurate outcomes, measurements, shapes and colour schemes.

For this exercise, I decided to use clay to create one`  of the initial ideas I added in my blog. 
It is important to note that I will be redoing other, more accurate, prototypes when I have all my developed ideas finalised. 

However, as of now, I will proceed with two examples from the initial ideas. This was the initial idea: 


This was the process with clay:



I used clay to form the different layers of each and then used the tools to sculpt it into the desired form. I let it dry overnight and then painted it. 




I also used a wire to resemble the actual wires of the design.

Comments:
I could have painted it a bronze colour to resemble the era, however, I also wanted this prototype to film the tik-tok so I decided to make them identical. I think that it is a good effort to resemble the outcome. I still think that it is very rough and the crack and uneven edges kind of ruin it. Next time, I would spend more time smoothing the surface to ensure that there are no cracks. 

Even though it is no where near good, I do still really like the shape of this design and I think it has great potential to form a very aesthetically pleasing design in the development stage. 

Conclusion: I really wanted to create something without clay, however, I could not think of anything else. Clay is easy to use, I had some already at home, dries fast and I somehow know how to work with it. Especially with detailed products, I think either 3D printing or clay is the best. I tried to create outcomes with cardboard last term but they ended up looking very rough. 
I also tried to complete this with balsa wood but I failed miserably. 
I think overall it is a good attempt to create something. As mentioned, it is not accurate nor final, therefore I have to proceed with my designs and finalise them quickly so that I have sufficient time to plan out both the prototypes and the software designs.

Comments

  1. One way of making it look a bit more like your proposed outcomes would be to sand it to a smooth finish before painting the piece.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment