Welcome back to my Blog! Art Portfolio Term 2
Hello and welcome back to my blog!
During the last term, I decided to complete 6 products that fall under the category of 'transformational furniture' using the main theme 'Purple haze. I really focused on developing my research skills. This is something that I lacked of as I did not know how to properly scrutinise, examine and filter information in term one. As a result, I had insufficient and incomplete parts of my project last term. Further to that, I completed a lot of artist research last term, however, I looked at some similar designers to the first term. This include Philippe Starck, Marc Newson and Heatherwicks studio. During this term, I want to focus on creating new and unique research to further challenge myself. Therefore, I am planning to not research these artists in depth in order to not make my project very repetitive.
However, I did not focus on my drawing skills as I completed a few drawings very roughly. One of my main goals during this term is to emphasize and enhance my drawing skills.
Additionally, during the first and second term I completed products under the category of 'transformational furniture' which both targeted university students. They both had very similar concepts and similar functions (cupboard transforming to desk). This term, I would like to challenge myself and complete a project with a different/ unique concept that targets a new audience. This could perhaps include high-end furniture, products for children or even something that targets elder or disabled people, which is what I want to do in the future.
Moreover, in both terms I added design boards as a way of showcasing my work. This is primarily because it is the main form of presentation that interests me in product design. You can play around with the layout and experiment with different styles. However, I could potentially research more this term and see if there is another way of presenting my work. This will broaden my horizons when it comes to experimenting with different layouts and displays.
I would also like to focus on the 3D aspect more. During the last 2 terms I had the opportunity to work on software a lot which definitely helped improve my designing skills. However, I would like to focus on the 3D aspect to finally be able to visualise and improve my manufacturing skills. I completed very rough 3D designs using cardboard last term, however, I want to create more accurate and precise 3D models.
I have been working and developing my skills on SketchUp for 7 years now so I consider myself to be familiar with the software. However, when I commence into university, I will be exposed to software such as but not limited to Rhinoceros, Fusion360, Solidworks. I barely have any experience with these software which might put me at a disadvantage next year. If I follow a strict and disciplined time management plan this term and ensure that I leave sufficient time for a software design then I definitely want to explore a new software.
Over the term, I looked at one specific designer that sparked my interest. I am planning on researching her in more depth in the future, however, I wanted to add a piece of her work that inspired me. Previously in the blog, I mentioned creating 'high end' furniture which was inspired by Patricia Urquiola. I can create similar high end furniture and focus on ergonomics and anthropometrics and look at a different target market.
Biography:
Urquiola was originally born in Spain in 1961, however, she lived and worked in Milan. She graduated the university of Architecture at Madrid Polytechnic and Milan Polytechnic the same year Achille Castiglioni did (a designer I looked at during the previous term). She worked as his assistant professor from 1990-1992. In 2001, she opened her own studio which focused on product design, architecture and installations.
Good reflection on last term and I think we mentioned this in the session last week, that your drawing could do with some attention this term as another way of expressing your ideas and developing your draughting skills. Your blog demonstrated great engagement with last terms project, your research in all areas was of a very high quality. I think you have the space to really push on this term and test yourself with a product design that is maybe out of your comfort zone. When you go to your undergraduate you will have a lot of briefs all at the same time, it will be useful to stretch what you think you can achieve now, almost use it as practise for what you will face next year.
ReplyDelete