Sketches based on my research

Over the past few weeks, I have been researching various artists and designers in order to draw inspiration from them. On one of my tutors comments, he mentioned that it would be good to see some sketches inspired by the research done so far. 

I think that is a brilliant idea as it may help me generate more ideas and develop my work. 

These were some sketches I came up with:

My Own Bali


From the blog 'My Own Bali' research, I used these two elements and combined them together to form a table. 
This was my outcome:

Comments: 
I think that adding the two elements together was a good decision. I took the bent design from the bench and combined it with the unevenness of the root bench to create a table that has two layers of storage. I tried to maintain the bulky design of the legs inspired by the second bench design. 
I added some discolouration to the wood to show the natural texture it has. Additionally, I drew inspiration from the first bench and added some natural gaps that wood pieces tend to have.

Overall, even though this is a really rough sketch, I really like the outcome. Wood is way more elegant than stone and creates versatile outcomes. I am definitely looking forward in exploring this material at a greater depth and designing products out of it. 
I like the gaps created and I definitely think that this is more related and resembles the cavemen era.


Estionian Academy of Arts

These products were from my blog post 'Estonian Academy of arts'. I used these three elements and combined them together to form a chair.
This is my outcome:
I tried to combine the three elements from the research for one final outcome. I used the seating base of the stool made out of rock. Then used the inspiration from the mirror to make the backrest slice through the stone seat. Lastly, I used inspiration from the angular chair to combine wood with stone. 
I really like the element of symmetry combined with the abstract element of the stone. I think the two materials work very well together and look nice. 
The rock as the seating area works well and looks very visually pleasing. It contrasts well with the colour of the wood. Lastly, the natural colours and textures of both these materials have similar features which make them look very coherent.
This sketch is very rough, however, I surprisingly like the outcome. It is something very out of my comfort zone that I am not familiar with and haven't designed before. I always stick to symmetrical objects.

Zachary, A. designs


The last outcome was inspired by a design of Zachary, A. designs.
This was my outcome:
This was the last product I created inspired by the research elements. I used products that I am familiar with to design these, however, in the future I will be designing unfamiliar products.
I really like the shape of this design. It does not resemble a square as it has some interesting circular corners. 



Conclusion:

I am still unaware of what products I will be designing, this is why I explored different outcomes. However, I will definitely consider this research when I choose my final products. This was an exercise to test myself and be creative with my research so far. 
I used most of my research elements as they are all drastically different both in aesthetics and materials.
I am happy with the outcomes, even though they are rough sketches. This exercise made me think outside the box in order to find ways to connect my project to existing research, a very useful skill. 

This exercise took me out of my comfort zone to create structured products that I have not explored before. I really like this theme as it is not similar with anything I have done before. I cannot wait to start developing my work. 

Comments

  1. Good sketches that display your ideas quite well - would like to see how you are thinking of developing this through further sketches that you use almost as a brainstorm. The combination of materials works well - one question. Have you thought about the practicality of these designs in terms of how comfortable/functional they might be?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment