Research: Collection of 5
In my previous blog, I noted down different ideas for the direction of my project. The one I liked the most was to include a collection of 5 variations of the same product.
However, as I did not complete something like this in the past, I wanted to research it before starting to design it to ensure that this is the direction I want to pursue.
In my 'project development in the real world' post, I added a collection of 4 lamps. I was very intrigued by the different shapes and outcomes and wanted to explore it. As seen in the picture, there are endless possibilities regarding the functions of lamps. I have room to play with various aesthetics and also consider the style of it. Some styles I can add include desk lamps, ceiling lamps etc.
Having a collection of lamps would definitely be very beneficial as I have not explored it before in previous terms. I can consider different aesthetics and work with them.
I really like this collection of chairs. As seen, they have different colours, shapes, sizes and functions. They managed to add various chairs responsible for different things. They included stools, armchairs, dining chairs which allow the user to have more choice and variety. I really like the idea of including different colours. In my own designs, I can possible include different colours for different functions using colour psychology.
I also like that every aspect in the chairs are different. The legs are different in each chair, the armchairs, the height, the aesthetics.
I like that they constantly change everything in each design to make everything unique.
However, I think that designing chairs will be very challenging this term, considering that I also have to manufacture something.
Additionally, I have created chair designs in the past so I want to complete something out of my comfort zone.
In this specific collection, I do not like that every lamp design is the same. The only thing that changes is the colour and the shape of the base. The rest is very similar. I like the inclusion of unusual shapes as a base, however, when designing my own collection, I want each one to differ drastically. All these lamps are desk lamps. I want mine to have different functions and aesthetics.
Salvaged materials form chairs in Curro Claret's More Than This collection
In this collection, they added recyclable materials to create chairs. It is a recycled furniture collection in Barcelona. This collection was to encourage people living on the street to embrace their creative.
I really like this collection as it has a consistent and unique theme.
Every material used for this collection resembles the original product (eg, the skateboard still looks like a skateboard as they maintain the original shape and colour). This is exactly what I want to achieve with my theme.
Conclusion: This was an eye-opening research. I had my doubts regarding this idea of including 5 variations of 1 product. However, after researching, I am now sure that this is what I want to complete. It is challenging yet very different from the rest of my projects from previous terms.
Additionally, this blog post also made me realise that I definitely want to create lamps for my project, not a chair.
Picture References:
Business Wire (2021) Lamps Plus Color Plus lamps with Dunn-Edwards colors: (from left) Marigold, Rustique, Wild Blue Yonder, Flower Stem and Burnt Almond. (Photo: Business Wire). Available at: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20201001005171/en/Lamps-Plus-Partners-with-Dunn-Edwards-to-Offer-New-Color-Focused-Lighting-and-Lamp-Shade-Collection-in-Five-2021-Color-and-Design-Trends-Paint-Colors (Accessed: 28/04/21)
Habitat (n.d) Lighting. Available at: https://www.habitat.co.uk/browse/lighting/c:809181/ (Accessed: 28/04/21)
Durrant, A. (2014) Salvaged materials from chairs in Curro Claret's More than this collection. Available at: https://www.dezeen.com/2014/06/13/more-than-this-chairs-curro-claret-barcelona/ (Accessed: 28/04/21)




If your emphasis is moving onto another kind of product, you need to be clear as to how this is going to work over the coming weeks in terms of planning and the further research you need to do to achieve this.
ReplyDelete