Project Development in the real world

During our class today, we were assigned to use a piece of our project that we would like to develop and make four sketches of it. This will help generate some initial ideas. 

As mentioned previously, I am still unaware of the different products that my collection will include. However, an idea came to mind to create 5 variations of one product. Therefore, I thought that this was the perfect opportunity to create 4 sketches of the same product but different aesthetic. It is important to note that this is not a final decision and may change after careful consideration.

Even though I will be determining the final product in future blog posts, I am currently most keen on designing chairs or lamps. I think that lamps tend to be very unique and exciting and I did not include a lamp in previous collections.

Therefore, in this blog post, I will be sketching out different variations of lamps to see if I like this. In future blog posts I will also examine carefully other products. However, this product is focused on lamps.


These are the four digital drawings I completed: 

(These are rough sketches and are not final outcomes, just initial thoughts.)

The top left lamp is inspired primarily by the Flintstones. I wanted to add a more cartoon-ish element to my designs by using the show as an inspiration. I used a bone as the main structure of the body and then animal sheet on the top half with the same colour and pattern from the Flintstones. I am not particularly happy with this design as it does not suit the target market. It is very childish and would highly unlikely be seen in a house of a 20-35 year old. I should focus more on adding a modern twist to my designs to make them more minimalistic. 

The second design was inspired by the research on the Estonian academy of arts. I stacked a lot of rocks together to achieve a more complex and unique finish. I also added a crack on the top to show the natural imperfections of a rock. I really like this outcome and I think that it could be developed well.

The bottom left lamp shows a very modern version to the designs. I decided to create a bulky rectangular designs that uses wood as the main material. This was inspired by the animal fabrics they use. The gap in the middle (where the light is emitted) is inspired by the natural texture of wood and the animal fabrics. 
I really like the modern element of this lamp and it is probably my favourite out of all. However, it is important to keep in mind that I am still researching the stone era. I need to stay focused on that and ensure that my products are not too modern. I will try to resolve and brainstorm this in future blog posts.

The last lamp was inspired by the following image:
It is meant to be mounted to the wall. I am not a fan of this design as I do not think that it would be efficient and effective. 


CONCLUSION: I need to design more lamps that resemble that specific era. I tried to go out of my comfort zone to create these but I do not think that they resemble the era so much. I will add another post with more bulky pieces.

It is evident that the last three outcomes have a major influence by modern art. I think that I have to also draw out more bulky items that resemble that era more. I will brainstorm this in the next posts.

Lastly, I did not explore many variations of lamps (desk lamps, ceiling lamps etc), therefore, another idea to consider is to create 5 different lamps regarding function. 

 
An idea that came to mind when noting this observation was to create a collection of 5 lamps and each lamp would show a different era. Therefore, the first lamp would be the Stone Age and then progressively getting slightly more modern. This is definitely something to consider. I really liked this exercise as it helped me generate and think of more outcomes for this project. I will be adding further research and ideas in future blog posts. 

I think that I generated any ideas from this post and I can’t wait to explore them in future blogs. 

Comments