Last term, I was very overwhelmed with the research. I did not have a specific plan that would help me complete the research. Therefore, this term, I decided to complete a flow chart.
This term, I am focusing on completing new things, therefore, I thought that it was appropriate to complete a flow chart to help myself be more organised.
According to Hebb (n.d.), a flow chart is:
'A flow chart is a graphical or symbolic representation of a process. Each step in the process is represented by a different symbol and contains a short description of the process step. The flow chart symbols are linked together with arrows showing the process flow direction.'. (Hebb, n.d.)
This is my own flow chart made in PowerPoint:
The start of this process is in a circular shape. A circular shape is used to signify the start and end of the process.
The first step is to research the specific era corresponding to the lamp design. Once I sufficiently research that specific era, I will move on to sketching out some initial ideas inspired by my research.
The next step is to evaluate if I am happy with the concept of the initial ideas. Such decisions are placed in a rhombus shape.
If I am not satisfied with my ideas, then I have to go back to the initial research and re-think my concept and how I can alter my initial ideas.
However, if I am happy with some outcomes, I can proceed to complete further research. This time, the research is more detailed and specific to my outcomes.
Once I finalise my research, I start developing my initial ideas. If I am happy with these ideas then this signified the end of the designing process. If not, I have to go back to the research stage and find alternative ideas.
My research does not only include aesthetics, but also materials, cost and every aspect of the product. Once I am finalised with the end product, I can examine it closely and alter some minor details.
I only completed a brief chart of the structuring process, excluding many factors. It is difficult to condense a lot of information in flow charts, therefore, I decided to only add the process that includes the sketching of my outcomes.
Conclusion: This exercise helped me plan the process that will follow in the next weeks. It helps me stay on track and organised with my ideas. It is helpful to always have some form of plan in order to not be overwhelmed.
References:
Hebb, N. (n.d.) What is a flow chart. Available at: https://www.breezetree.com/articles/what-is-a-flow-chart [Accessed: 30/04/21]
This is well thought through - leave yourself space to alter your plan if you need to as you go through the last part of the project.
ReplyDelete