Part Two: Initial ideas

Before diving into this topic, I wanted to research the definition of it to ensure that I fully understand what it is. It is important to grasp the correct meaning of the theme to ensure that you do not get carried away and go on a tangent during the process. 
At first, I got confused with the definition of the word. Next to the word 'Primitivism', the title said 'enjoy a ride to the past'. Therefore, I assumed that any decade in the past could be considered as primitivism. However, here is the definition of the word. 

I quickly realised that my idea for 70-80s theme would not really fit into this title. Even though I had some great ideas, it is not possible to create a primitive project out of 70-80s. 
With that in mind, I decided to brainstorm words directly related to my theme:
After looking at the brainstorm, I am more inspired with ideas and concepts. The concept of 'caveman' and 'flintstones' really intrigues me as I have a lot of available research and a broad concept to elaborate on.
I would also like to combine elements of nature. Regarding nature, I thought about perhaps creating products that could be placed in nature or products that are decorated with nature aesthetics. I can use the 4 elements for inspiration or colour palette. 

Additionally, it was an initial idea of mine to create products based on movies/ shows/ poems. Therefore, adding flintstones will be a very interesting and exciting concept. I can watch some episodes and draw inspiration from the products displayed. I can use colour schemes, materials, shapes and implement them in my own design. 

I really like this theme. At first, I had my doubts and I started questioning whether or not this theme is suitable. However, I have found an element of this theme that really attracts me and I will be focusing on developing and researching different aspects of Cavemen/ Flintstones to create my products. 
I can also draw inspiration from the characters, animals.

I am always aware of the target market as I do not want to be targeting university students again. An idea that came to mind was to create products for babies. I can use the simple shapes of the cavemen, the colour scheme and also draw inspiration from the animals (dinosaurs) to produce a line of products for children.
I am still deciding on the target market of my products. I can also create products that target an older/ more mature audience. Even though I am very interested in baby products. I can design a baby chair, bed, lamp etc. 


Conclusion: The first 3-4 weeks of the term are always the most stressful. I tend to doubt myself and my ideas, which holds me back from being creative. I am trying my hardest to be as unique and authentic with my ideas this term. I am glad that I found common grounds within this area that I will be excited and attracted to work on.

Comments