Considering my work in the world

During todays class, we discussed different artworks that changed the world. We had to think about how our project would in turn affect the world. 

What influences could your project have on the real world?
In my high school years, I was never really taught about primitive eras. We would briefly go through the basics of each era without detail. It was purely my responsibility to further research everything. 
With my collection of product, I want to inform people about this era that many seem to not know it in depth. I want to showcase their lifestyle and the materials that they used in their designs. 
Primitive eras are overshadowed with distorted depictions and narratives. I want to properly filter and examine each source to convey what the stone era was truly about.
I want to create products that are visually pleasing for people of ages 20-35 to include in their homes. Additionally, I would like to create alternative products that provide people that like vintage items more options.

Will your project show a point of view or show something that might make people think differently?
It is evident that TV shows such as flintstones romanticise that era and create everything with a modern twist so that the children watching it can understand it better. 
However, as enjoyable as it is when watching it, they create a false narrative of what the Stone Era was like and the multiple challenges faced everyday by the people living in it. This is why I decided to discard the idea of drawing inspiration primarily from the flintstones as it does not convey the truth. I want to fully research everything connected to that era and create 5 products that showcase some parts of it. 
Drawing inspiration from the flintstones primarily would create another false image of that era. 

How else does your work have influence?
Discarding the aesthetic side of the designs, which will be fully inspired by this era, I want my project to be more than just aesthetics. I want to design products that are purely made out of materials used in the stone era. The main objective is to design things that resemble the stone era. Therefore, I want to closely look at and focus on stone and wood to convey this meaning. 
I also want my project to be sustainable and affordable to further entice users to purchase it. Having affordable products will significantly increase my target market.

Why is it important?
I find it important to raise awareness about historical topics that people are unaware about or do not fully comprehend the meaning of it. I want to convey meaning through my products and the materials used.

Comments

  1. You have identified some important positives and negatives for this project here - the use of stone could be problematic (price and availability), but for a project of this nature it also demonstrates your ability to use a material that is unconventional.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment