UX testing for my partner

In class, we were assigned to give feedback for one of our classmates. I was paired with Martyna which was one of my collaborative project buddies. I am assigned to give constructive feedback for Martyna's website.

This is martynas blog: https://martinasarts.blogspot.com/ 

This is her website: https://martynacygandmu.wixsite.com/mcygandmuportfolio

The Homepage

Is the homepage pleasing to look at?

Looking at the home page, I really like the image. I think it is very professional and it fits with the colour scheme created. 
However, I would advise Martyna to probably substitute that picture with an image which reflects on her progression route. Perhaps one of her works could be included in this page or an image that hints towards graphics design. I would recommend for Martyna to add the home picture in the about me page as it is a really artistic photograph that showcases a more professional side. 
I like that the home page does not include the about me page in it as it makes the viewer focus only on the home page.  I like the overlapping of the font with the picture and I also like that the font is kept constant throughout. 
I like the minimalism and simplicity created with the colour scheme without overcrowding the information on the home page. Sometimes, simplicity is key to effective websites. 

Does the homepage clearly show both visually and with text what the website is about (i.e represent the students progression route?
I think that the website does not clearly showcase the progression route. I had to go to the portfolio section to see the progression route as it is not mentioned in the home page or about me page.
I would suggest a heading 'graphics design' in the home page to indicate further this route. Additionally, adding it in the about me page would be beneficial. 
Maybe some graphics or images would also be useful to visually help the viewer.

Is there a navigation menu on the homepage?
The navigation menu is very clear. I like that it is on the top left corner and does not disappear when you scroll down. This allows the user to change slides or pages anytime without getting lost. 

Is the navigation menu clear and easy to use?
The navigation of the website is easy and user-friendly. It is not complex to figure out. The user can easily navigate himself around the website. My only concern is the portfolio page. Even though the works created are fascinating, I would suggest to add strips and collect the work in one gallery so the user is more aware of what he is watching. 

Are there social media links on the homepage?
There is an option for 'blog' or 'instagram'. However, the blog takes me to a linkedin page and the instagram button cannot be pressed. 
I would recommend editing these in order to ensure that it takes the viewer to the correct destination. 

Do all the menu links and social links work correctly?
The menu links do work correctly. However, the social media links do not. It either takes me to an irrelevant page or the button cannot be clicked. 

Do you have any comments or suggestions in regard to the homepage?
I mentioned all my suggestions in the previous questions. I would recommend to add more progression route related images and add 'graphics design' as a title in the home page. Additionally, as her progression route is graphics design, it would be exciting to see small graphics for each of the pages to make it more engaging and fun. This would also showcase some of her abilities outside of the work submitted and would make the website more fun and personal. 

I would also recommend to remove the feedback form from the menu buttons as it is not needed. And I would also recommend to change the copyright date to 2021.

The About & Contact Page

Is the About page pleasing to look at?

The about me page works well. I think that the image works well with the layout. However, I think that she should remove the 'download CV' button as it is not a real CV and I think it is unnecessary. I like that the 'about me' overlaps with the image which seems to be an ongoing theme in her design. It is the same in the home page and I like that she pays attention to such detail. 

Does it contain an image or design?

It does contain an image of her which is useful as it helps the viewer identify the artist. I would recommend a few more graphics or images to further enhance this. 

Is the about me/biography well written?

I like how she stars with 'Hi friends' as it is more user friendly and less informal which makes it more engaging for the users. I would suggest for her to elaborate more on her biography and say what influenced her to become a graphics designer or what tools she works with.  Maybe add pictures of her previous work to engage people and showcase her work.

Maybe elaborate more on the skills she wants to enhance or the things you would want to focus on in the future. 

Does the about me/biography really tell you about the person and their work?

It does tell me some background information about Martyna. However, I would be interested to see her elaborate more on the work she focuses on. What does she like to work with? What does she want to improve? What skills has she gained through this? What is she currently working on?

I think it would be very useful to see the background information of the artist in order to create a more in-depth biography. 

Do you have any suggestions on the about me page?

I really like the image added. It is neat, fits in with the theme and it is professional. I would recommend more graphics and a bit more elaboration on the biography. 

Is the contact page pleasing to look at?

I believe that the contact me page also needs some work. There is no contact sheet for the person to fill in. I like that she added where she is based. However, I think that she should remove the number added there, even if it is fake in order to not be misleading. I think she should add a contact form with the options for the person to fill in.

Put email, name and message as compulsory in order for you to receive specific messages.

Does it contain an image or design?

It does not contain an image. It would be great to see some images or graphics to showcase the contact me page more. Including a contact page with maybe images of email letters of graphics for contacting will be very visually pleasing. 

I think having small graphics will definitely impact this page.

Does the contact page work - test this and find out

I cannot test out the contact page as there is no contact form to fill in. 

Do you have any suggestions about the contact page?

The suggestions are all made above. I would focus more on the layout and the content. Perhaps add a few graphics, a contact sheet and add a bit more information to make it more enthusiastic.


The Gallery Pages

Do all the gallery pages work?

The portfolio page works perfectly fine. However, as mentioned above, I would recommend clustering all the images together under one title in order to be more user-friendly. There are no individual galleries created within which is something I would recommend doing. 

Is there an introduction to the work on each gallery page

There is no introduction to the works on the pages. There is a title, however, I would recommend to add short sentences on the aims and objectives of the project to make it more clear for the user. Additionally, when clicking on an image, it could be useful to add a subtitle to each to ensure that the user knows what the image is about.

I think introductions could be very useful to enhance and transform this page. There are strong pieces of art which would be strongly supported with a descriptive introduction.

Does all the work have titles

The works do have titles, but I find it slightly confusing with the layout. They images are laid out in a zig-zag manner, therefore, the title 'brand identity, Martyna Cygan graphic designer' does not correspond with the correct image. It looks like it is a part of the sequential image. I would suggest to move that heading slightly downwards to make it more clear. 

Are the gallery pages consistent

There is a consistent layout, however, I would recommend for the individual posters to be placed in a slide gallery or any other of her choice. This would make it easier to the user to see which works are for what purpose. Clustering the work together can solve all the problems. It can solve the navigation problem, the titles and it would also be easier to add an introduction for the work as it would be presented more neatly. 

Do the gallery pages work well and are they easy to use?

I believe that Martyna still needs to add galleries to further showcase and enhance her work. I would recommend a slide gallery as it is fun and displays the work nicely.

Can you go back and forth through the gallery pages easily?

Is the work displayed to show it at its best?

I think that the work could be displayed better. This could be achieved by adding galleries, introductions and titles to each work to make it neater.

What suggestions do you have about the gallery pages?

My suggestions are: If martyna wants, she can include a brief introduction to her portfolio page and what she will be showcasing. Then, to cluster all the images together and create separate galleries for each work. Adding introductions and titles would be also vital. This is in no way compulsory, but I feel like it would look great with some graphics displayed on the page. Lastly, adding subtitles or descriptions to each image when you click on it.


The Whole Site

Is the site consistent throughout?

Martyna uses consistent layouts and fonts which suggest brand identity which is something I really like in the website. She keeps the colour palette limited and creates a very minimalistic feel to it.

Did you find it easy to navigate and use?

I believe that it was really easy to navigate through. I think that my only concern is the portfolio page as it is a bit messy which does not fit with her overall theme. But the navigation process was easy with menu buttons that work well.

Was it a good experience going through the site?

I really liked going through the website. Something that I benefited from is the neat and organised layout which she uses. I think that adding each menu link as a separate page was smart and works well with the website. The colours chosen are calming to the eye and visually pleasing. 

What would you change if you could?

I would primarily focus on showcase the progression route more. Add more images and texts that show that she is intended to pursue graphics design. Then, I would add a more detailed biography and also focus on the contact sheet.

Would you recommend this site to others? If not, why not?

I would definitely recommend it. It is an example of an organised and tidy website that needs a bit of work on the content. However, I do really like the effort she put in.

 

Was this beneficial? I really liked reviewing other peoples work as it also gives me inspiration about my own. It was a pleasure to look at Martynas website and I hope that she benefits from my comments. 


Comments