Research: Websites
I am not completely satisfied with my website, therefore, I thought that this would be a good opportunity to research some professional websites to get inspiration from.
The UX testing was a beneficial exercise that I will blog about soon which helped me realise some aspects that I should change in my design.
However, my main issue is the homepage as I feel like it is not to a high professional standard and it looks very childish. I do like the image included as it showcases my own work, however, the layout is not the best. Therefore, this blog will be dedicated to the home pages of different websites in order to help inspire me.
This was the first website I looked at. It had graphics on the front page which changed. The 'hi' became 'hello' and then 'nihao'. I do think that this is a fun and engaging way of entertaining the audience. However, she does not add her name or the purpose of the website. This made me understand the gravity of establishing the content and the person who made it. I need to ensure that my progression route and name is evident in the website.
On the left, instead of text, she added icons for each sub section of the website. I do think this is a very clever idea that I can implement in my website. I am not sure if this will be confusing to the viewer. I personally like it very much and I will try to see if it works. If not, then I will use this method for the social media links.
Marc Newson was my inspiration for the orange theme. I do think that orange is a unique and visually pleasing colour that captivates the viewers attention.
However, I do not like that Newson included his works in the home page. It is nice to include personal artworks to show the purpose of the website, however, this reminds me of a portfolio page instead of a home page.
It would have been better to display the work in a smarter way instead of adding a slide gallery to show the work.
This is a website that really captivates my attention, even though it is in a language that I cannot understand. The designer adds the text in the middle of the page to draw the viewers attention to that directly. Additionally, the background is simple and takes up the whole website.
My background takes up only sections of the website which I feel like is not very effective. I can try to make the image more magnified to take up the whole space. I like that the colours are neutral and that she sticks to the same colour scheme.
I think the enlarged image adds to the feel of how professional this website is and I will definitely try it out.
I also realised that I really like neutral and minimalistic colours which work well with my designs.
This is a different approach from the ones I have seen so far. However, it is very interesting and unique. He keeps a minimal and simple layout. It is evident that he is a product designer and he includes the outline of the products he makes. I think this type of graphics fits well and looks very professional and effective. I could consider changing my home page into something similar to this.
This reminded me of my website. It does not have an enlarged picture and it uses weird textured lines. I do not like it as I think that it is not used effectively. I think that the image is small for the available space and the letters are too big.
It would have been more effective to add a drop down menu for people to choose from instead of the way the menu buttons are displayed.
However, I like the fact that this website is only one page without having the about me and contact me page combined too. I will definitely apply this in order to make the users focus on one thing at a time.
I was in awe once I saw this. I think this is an outstanding idea to include in a website. I immediately thought about doing this with one of the items that I created. Using the rendered desk I made last term and making half of it look like a painted abstract version. I think this is a very engaging and fun idea which I would love to try out.
Concluding, I now know what I like and what I think is effective. I am very keen on the last idea as I believe that it is simple yet very unique. I am excited to try things out with my website and see which is more effective. I am glad I completed this post as I feel like I am more aware of the things I need to change now. In the next blog post, I will start making the changes.

Comments
Post a Comment