Making: Part 5

After almost a week of working on my designs, I finally completed them. In my previous post, I added the texture which was one of the final steps. In this blog post, I will be adding the colour, cushions on the chair and then receiving some feedback from the four people that have been with me along the journey.

The paint process was surprisingly harder than anticipated:

The first thing I noticed which I was really happy about was the colour availability. Thankfully, it had sufficient and even more colours than what I needed in my designs.
When I tried to apply the colour in different planar surfaces, it would not work. This is where I panicked. However, I then remembered that all my planar surfaces are grouped together.

Therefore, I clicked on 'edit component' where I was allowed to adjust the colour in different surfaces. This was very helpful. I used the colour guide in my initial ideas to find similar shades to those. 
I started editing the colour scheme and pattern according to my preference. I really liked how these were turning out as they completely transformed my designs.

I also had to add some cushions on the chair. The chair will have two cushions. One which is fixed for the top of the chair and the other one which will unfold to fit on the stool and cover up the height difference. I went on the 3D warehouse and typed in cushions and chose this design.


I added my two layers and then pressed on 'edit component' to change the colour to a more vibrant purple. Even though I liked how the white looked, it would not be a smart idea to incorporate it. White can get dirty easily, especially with university students that might spill things on or during art work. Therefore, I tried to go for a more deep purple so this can be covered up without noticeable stains.

This was the final outcome of my stool and chair which I am very happy with. It was time to move onto the shelves and the cupboard. 
I started off with the texture and used the bucket tool to pick up the desired shades that I wanted. 

I started adding all the other colours according to the digital guide I created. 

This is where I realised the mistake of putting in the shelves without any colour on. It would be really difficult to colour in everything, therefore, I decided to delete the shelves from inside. 
I removed the shelves to ensure that I could paint the inside. I added a darker lavender colour to create more dimension. 
I copy and pasted one of the shelves and then individually painted each surface. 

Once the surfaces were painted the desired colour, I inserted them into my design.  

I worked in all the perspectives to ensure that the texture is even with the same colours. I think that the colour really impacts the design and takes it a step further. 

These are the final designs:

It is important to keep in mind that I will be rendering, completing mock ups, exploded views and orthographic views. This is not a formal image. 
I really like the outcome. I think that it reflects on the research behind it and I like the colour scheme. My project developed positively after the research made and I am proud of them.


Feedback: 

Person #1: I was routing for this project and I was waiting for the final, professional software outcome. The colour is the main element of the design that makes these products mesmerising. I love how you took a significant movement from the 1920s and developed it in a unique way with your own artistic twist. At first, I had my doubts. Throughout research and development, I realised that you had a plan and a vision. I trusted that vision and it definitely did not disappoint! Great job!

Person #2: Thank you for making the chair so big in length! I find myself to feel very uncomfortable and restricted when I have small chairs. I would definitely buy this! I think that the blue-purple colour combination looks great and it definitely suits the purpose of conserving space.

Person #3: These are the kind of items that you would place in your apartment and they would make a statement. What I like about these designs is that each stands strong on its own. They don't only look good combined together. They look good as individual items as each one of them is powerful and unique. I believe that this is a great developed 

Person #4: I really like that this is a unisex design and can be placed inside any room. I think that these turned out great!

Comments