Making: Part 3

When presenting my work on design boards, I need to make sure that I showcase the different perspectives of my design.
I wanted to include the cupboard open with the desk closed, the cupboard closed and the desk closed and the cupboard closed with the desk open. 
For this to happen, I decided to copy and paste my design so I can work on the different perspectives individually. This will help the process of documenting the images flow better and it will be significantly less time consuming. 
I started working on the layout of the open desk first. I copy and pasted the cupboard design and then used the rotate tool to flip the surface of the desk 180 degrees to create the unfolding.


I wanted to add the hinges in this design as I did not add any hinges in the previous blogs. I left the hinges out on purpose as I knew that I wanted to create different perspectives of my design. 
I used the warehouse and downloaded a 180 degree hinge. The original colour of the hinge was black so I clicked on 'edit component', used the 'paint' tool and edited it to white. Once I finished the colour, I made sure to group the pieces together again to make the exploding process easier.
I used the 'move' tool to adjust them to the desired place. I only added two hinges as I did not want them to be in the way of studying. Additionally, these hinges are small and discrete which will help.
These hinges will probably be painted over again once I add the colour, however, as of now, I wanted them white. 
I used the rectangle and the push/pull tool to form the legs of the table.


I downloaded another type of hinges from the warehouse and adjusted the size using the 'scale' tool, the direction using the 'rotate' tool and the position using the 'move' tool. 


I used the same approach for the hinges on the legs of the table. The legs have a horizontal line exactly in the middle which showcases where the legs overlap when folded.


It was time to form the open cupboard but closed desk perspective. 



I copy and pasted the doors from the original design and then used the 'rotate' tool to make them 90 degrees.
This is where I realised how important the grouping of the components was. If I did not group each component then I would have to move the design by each planar surface which would be confusing, frustrating and time consuming. 

Additionally, I realised that maybe adding them all to one folder was not a good idea as the folder was large in size. This caused the website to crash multiple times. However, I automatically turned on 'save after 3 minutes' which helped keep my folder saved in case where the website did crash. Last semester I forgot to turn that on and lost almost all of the designs a week prior to the deadline. Now I know better.

After almost 5 days of working on these designs for hours, I finally had all the perspectives that I want in my design boards. In the next blog post, I will add the texture of the design and then start to finally add colour. The frustrating and time consuming part of the process is done so now I can enjoy playing with the colour scheme and colour pallet. 
Here are all the perspectives. The shelf, the closed cupboard, stool underneath the chair, the chair, open cupboard and the open desk. This will help speed up the process and make sure that I document all the functions of the design.
I am very pleased with how these came out and I cannot wait to see them finalised with colour on.

 

Comments