Making: Part 2

 After looking at the cupboard, it was time to design the chair which turns into a lounge and stairs.

I used the same grid as the previous design as I wanted to have everything into one file.

I started off by sketching my base using the 'rectangle' tool. I made sure that everything was in cm to get accurate results. I used the push/pull tool to extrude the surface to the corresponding height. I used the measurements in my planning posts as a guide to my design.

I used the 'pencil' tool to sketch out the steps for my stairs. I used the push/pull tool to create the depth of the design and used the erase tool to remove the excess lines.





To form the seating of the chair, I planned that I was going to create an inlet. I created the inlet using the rectangle tool. Once I created the inlet, I made sure to press 'make group' to ensure that the surfaces of the back layer are connected together in order to be easier to add exploded views. 
I proceeded on adding the top layer of the seat using the rectangular tool and the push/ pull button to create dimension.

It was time to add my components. In this design, I only had 3 screws to add as most of the design was blocks of wood or the inlet. I copy pasted the screws in the previous design and added three along the top layer of the design. I used the move tool and the rotate tool to fix them to the correct positions. 

After creating the basic structure of the chair, it was time to form the stool underneath it.

To form the box, I started with the base and used the same principle as I did in the design of the chair. I used the rectangular tool to form the sides and the push/pull to turn it into a 3D design.

Once all sides were complete, it was time to add the components.


I copy pasted the screws I created in different directions and used the move tool to add them onto the design. I used 4 on the back layer and 6 on the top layer to secure everything together.
The bottom layer is non existed as I wanted it to be open in order to be used as a shelf if desired.


This was the stool under the chair. It is really nice to finally see my idea done digitally. It is a very rewarding experience to create this as I have been trying to develop my idea for 6-7 weeks. I am happy with how they are turning out and I can't wait to finally add colour and start rendering, mock ups and my design boards.

Comments