Making: Part 1

After developing my work, it was time to start making it on software. I wanted to start off with the main element in my design which includes the cupboard. The cupboard is the item that inspired this concept and it is also the largest one so I decided to start off with it.
I used sketch up as I am quite familiar with this software and I like working with it.


The first thing I had to do was remove the person in the grid. I also changed the length units to centimetres and the precision to 0.00. I added that precision as I did not have more than one decimal numbers. 

I used the rectangular tool to form the 76x38cm base of the cupboard structure. I then used the 'push' tool to extrude it by 1.5cm to create the thickness.


I also added the side layers using the same technique. Once I had those sides completed, I copy and pasted them to create the other side layer and the top layer. Once the 4 basic outlines were completed, I used the rectangle tool to form the back layer. I repeated the process to form the desk layer and the submerged legs. It was a fairly easy process to complete.


The next part was to create the shelves placed inside. I drew my square boxes using the rectangular tool and then added thickness with the push/ pull tool again. One mistake I did last term was that I forgot to make each component a separate group. This was very annoying in the process of exploding views as it was unnecessary and I could not explode one face at a time. I separated my components and grouped each surface together by clicking the 'make group' button.

As I had my basic structure complete, it was time to start adding components. I downloaded a rounded shape screw from the 3D warehouse and used the 'scale' button to make it the desired size. I also used the 'rotate' button to create 5 screws in 5 different directions. Having the screws ready in different directions was very easy as I could simply copy and paste them for the necessary areas. I started adjusting my screws and adding them to the correct places using the guide I made previously in my planning.

I added the desired screws on each surface and I think that it turned out pretty cool. I used copy and paste buttons to multiply the screws and make the process easier.

Once I had the shelves ready, I used the model example and copy pasted it to fit into the cupboard. Even though the overall length inside the cupboard is 73cm, I made the cupboards 24cm length instead of 24.333cm so they can have a bit of space in between them.


Once I completed all 9 shelves inside the cupboard, I formed my doors using the rectangle tool and added a small gap for the door knob. I wanted it to be a rectangular gap in order to be cohesive with the theme of rectangles.

This was the final result I have so far without the hinges and the colour displayed. 


I still have hinges to include which will be added in the next blog post, along with the progress I have made. I am happy with what I created so far.

Comments

  1. Good to see these designs more realised. Your next posts should demonstrate how colour is part of your outcomes. Also consider a mock-up of your outcomes in an example of the spaces you are intending them for.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment