Final design boards

After having all sketches, orthographic views, renders, mock-ups and exploded views ready, it was time to finally combine it all together to form my design boards.

I also completed some research for the layout of the design boards in order to be unique and fun.

I forgot to take multiple screenshots during the design process. However, this is what I did:


I created a new file in illustrator with a portrait orientation. I decided that I was going to create 6 design boards, one for each function. This way, I could incorporate exploded views, sketches, renders and orthographic drawings in each. 
I also planned of adding the mock up pictures as my cover page for the introduction to the design boards.

I started creating my layout by adding purple stripes that interact with each other. I made sure to add my name, the page number and the year. I did not include the year during the last term which I regret as I want them to be marked with it.
On the top of the page, I envisioned including the 3 functions of each product. The colourful icon (the chair in the image) would be the function that I would be talking about in the design board. The black and white icons are the functions that will follow (eg. the stool and then the steps). This way, the viewer would know which function I am talking about using visuals. 
The next step was to draft the text that I was going to include in the design boards. I used a word document to write everything before I copy it onto my design boards. 


I started adding my images to the design. I came to the conclusion that the sketches would be on the right, a large render on the left. Underneath the large render would be smaller icons of different perspectives of the design. On the bottom left corner would be the materials, components, production and measurements. Exactly next to these would be an exploded view and the orthographic view.

I added the title 'purple haze; on the bottom left corner to show the theme for this project. I also added the name of the product 'lay it out in lavender' in the top, followed by the subtitle 'the stool'. The name 'lay it out in lavender' will appear in 3 design boards, representing the three functions. However, the subtitles will change to 'the stool', 'the chair' and 'the steps'. 
The cupboards name is 'purple patch' and the subtitles include 'the cupboard', 'the shelves' and 'the desk'.
I also copy pasted the text from Microsoft word directly into illustrator. 


The last step was to decide on a general title for the collection. I narrowed it down to 2 titles, 'Born to the purple' and 'mauve mood'. I decided to proceed with 'mauve mood'  as purple represents creativity, power, dignity and peace which is something that I want the users to feel when they have these products. I want to impact their lives positively and encourage them to feel peaceful. 

This is the final cover sheet, followed by the 6 design boards:







Conclusion: This was one of the most enjoyable parts of the project. I like seeing my effort pay off and combine all the elements together. I think the layout works well and I can see a massive improvement since last term, especially regarding the quality and perspectives of the renderings. 

I think it has a lot of information on it without including a lot of text, which was my main goal. I am happy with how these turned out and I cannot wait to add them to my website. 

Comments

  1. Just had a look at your updated website and it looks a lot better now it is readable. I think these design boards display your work well and there is plenty of detail about the design and it's uses.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment