Testing with cardboard

 Even though cardboard is very thick and I will not be able to get a lot of detail in the designs, I decided to create really rough designs of my products to see how they look.

I used cardboard and super glue to attach all the sides together. I did not take into account measurements as I am producing fast and rough designs to see the outcome.


Once I added all sides of the chair together, it was time to create the stool. I used the same approach of cutting and gluing parts together. I made sure that the stool can fit inside the chair.


I really like how this looks. It was hard for me to visualise the thickness and how it would look, however, I feel like it looks great.




For the foldable top desk, I added some tape to make sure that I can replicate the function of the hinges. This will allow me to fold and unfold the top layer to visualise how the desk will move.



This is how the final products look together. Even though it took me about 15-20 minutes to create these, I feel like they  are very effective and make me understand how the items would look cohesive together. I like how the table unfold and I feel like it is a very valuable and smart function.

Why did I not create the shelves? The shelves are a similar square design of the stool so that gave me a similar idea. 
Why did I not create the steps? They are very detailed and engraved inside the back of the chair. I cannot achieve this with cardboard. Maybe I will design it with another material.
Why did I not create the legs of the desk? Those legs are expandable which again, is not achievable with cardboard.

Was this beneficial? Definitely! Even though it is not very representative of the final outcomes as they are messy and rough, it still gave me an idea of how the products will look. It made me visualise how the table will unfold and made me understand how the stool will be placed underneath the chair. Despite the fact that I did not create all the functions, testing is useful. It helps you see if the products work well together, even if they don't have accurate measurements. 

I think this was a valuable blog as it help me comprehend and visualise my designs.

Comments

  1. This was a good exercise to do in terms of how your designs could interact with the space it would potentially be used in. Maybe a bit more time could have been spent to polish the outcomes here to meet the standard you have set in the other design ideas you have posted over the past couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment