Research: Materials and Processes

I decided on the material that would be used the structure of my design. This material is plywood. However, I still need to research the type of cushion that will be used for the chair, if I will laminate my objects and how I will paint them. 

Laminate: I decided to look into laminating to see if it is a good option for my products. I have mentioned that plywood can absorb moisture which may not be suitable for a desk. Therefore, I need to ensure that when my cupboard transforms into a desk, and people sit and eat on it, if something gets spilled then it will not ruin the wood. 

This blog will be divided in a few sections as I have a lot to cover. 

Varnishing

After looking at a source, I realised that laminate does not make the wood waterproof. As it does not meet my criteria then I decided to not include laminate.

I googled other ways of laminating the wood and found epoxy sealing, penetrating hard oil and spray on latex. One of these 3 choices can be used for the top of the cupboard and the table surface only. I will only use varnish there as it is the main feature of the design that is in danger of getting something spilled on. 

Using epoxy will ensure that it dries down and makes the wood hard by creating a top coat. It also ensures that it will last a long time.

Using penetrating oil ensures that the wood retains its flexibility and strength. However, it is not as durable as epoxy sealing as it might dry out the oil over time when exposed to sunlight or wind.


Using spray on latex is the best for furniture that will be outside and exposed to weather conditions. It is inexpensive, long lasting and effective. These are all very good qualities that will ensure maximum lifespan of the products.

Therefore, I think the best is epoxy sealing and spray-on latex are the best options as they meet my required criteria.

By varnishing the wood, the users can also be more relaxed when they accidentally spill or make a mess. Especially art students need this function as they tend to work with materials that might be messy.

I  will also make sure that primer and paint for wood is used to ensure maximum results. Primer will ensure that it absorbs the paint well and that you can't see the grain through it. 


Processes

I am very unfamiliar with the process of painting or varnishing so I decided to briefly look into it. Unfortunately, with the time available, I am not able to dive into how many storage units I would have ordered or how the manufacturing process will go as I am very unfamiliar with it and have minimal background knowledge of it.

A product designer is not always expected to carry out every step from the designing up until the manufacturing process, which is something I need to keep in mind. 

I found that a possible process of applying the paint is an automated spray painting system. I will be producing many units which cannot be hand painted as it is time consuming, costly, ineffective and the paint might not spread evenly. With automated spray painting, there is minimal waste of the paint, very quick and effective and ensures that the paint is spread out evenly in all parts.

The cost of employing labour to paint these is very expensive, therefore, using machinery will definitely decrease the cost of manufacturing which is highly anticipated.

It was reported that with automated spray paint there was a 30% reduction in paint usage as it was more accurate and ensured that it would not waste anything. (Wasmund, 2020) 

Pros:
It can work for 8 hours straight repeating the same pattern over and over again. This could not have been done by manual labour in the same speed or effectiveness.
It can be repeated in endless units and you have choice and variety for the pattern created.
It has less safety hazards

Cons:
Even though over-time it is much cheaper, the initial price is expensive.

I am glad I completed this research as I have a bit more knowledge on this subject matter than previously. I think that automated spray paint is the ideal for any company that mass produces the same product to create many units.


Production:
I also have to think about how these products will be produced. I decided to look into some productions and see which one suits my design the most. I think it will be either batch or mass production as I need standardised designs with low costs.

Job production: This is a high-end production that involves the making of one product using a lot of labour. They make one product at a time using this, it is very costly and time consuming. It is for high quality products where the user is provided with the opportunity to customise the outcome. Due to customisation, the costs are inevitably very expensive. This can include wedding dresses or painting a house.
For obvious reasons, this is not a suitable production as I need a production that will effectively and efficiently produce all the components simultaneously. 

Batch production: This is used to produce a quantity of items at the same time to meet a specific demand. It allows for flexible production and the items not used can be stored for later. However, small batches can be costly.

Mass production: Increases productivity as the machines work constantly, faster production and less error. Even though it is less costly, the initial costs to invest in machinery are very high. There is a lot of energy consumption which leads to pollution. 

After looking at these, I decided to proceed with batch production as it is a more environmentally friendly process. Additionally, mass production creates only standardised components where batch production allows room for some flexibility. I learned a lot from this research as I was unaware of some of these advantages and disadvantages.


Padding on chair

Finding the suitable cushion was also an important part as I have to finally complete all my research in order to start designing my items. I want to look into some padding and see which is more suitable for the chair.

Polyurethane foam: It is very soft so it will be comfortable to sit on. It is light and easy to move which will be beneficial as I will need to unfold one part on the chair. It withstands a lot of weight so people don't sink into the foam. It is flammable so placing it near a heater or leaving unattended cigarettes may be considered a safety hazard. One type of polyurethane foam is memory foam which is used in most mattresses as it helps form a good posture and ensure that it is comfortable for sitting somewhere for long.

Memory foam will be a good choice for my design as it will ensure that students have maximum comfort when sitting down.



Overall, I am happy with this blog post as I learned a bit more about the processes and how they can be applied in my design. I learned a lot while researching about these and it was definitely beneficial as it enhanced my knowledge. 


References:
Waterproofing plywood: 3 Ways to protect plywood (n.d) Available at: https://www.finepowertools.com/woodworking/waterproofing-plywood/#:~:text=Paint%20or%20Spray%2DOn%20Latex,is%20going%20to%20be%20seen.  [Accessed: 27/02/21]

Logan, M. (2018) How to get a really good paint finish on plywood. Available at: https://homeguides.sfgate.com/really-good-paint-finish-plywood-99267.html [Accessed: 27/02/21]

Wasmund, R. (2020) how manual painting impacts a company and how an automated painting system improves processes. Available at: https://conceptsystemsinc.com/painting-processes-today-and-the-benefits-of-automated-painting/  [Accessed: 27/01/21]

Methods of production (n.d) Available at: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zth78mn/revision/1  [Accessed: 27/02/21]

Kane, A. (2010) Foam furniture pros and cons. Available at: https://www.doityourself.com/stry/foam-furniture-pros-and-cons  [Accessed: 27/02/21]

Comments

  1. Excellent post, lots of thoughtful research and reflection on the various materials. Regarding polyurethane foam, can it be treated during production to make it non-flammable?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment