Research: Emotions Purple evokes

My tutor also suggested to create some swatches of the colour purple to see which emotions the colours evoke. I liked this ideas as I will have the opportunity to test out things and mix to form my own colours.

After looking at the pattern that I could potentially create in my latest blog, I wanted to take some time to swatch blue and purple colours to see which shades are more suitable to consider.

I realised that this picture does not do them justice as they are more purple and vibrant in real life. The top row looks blue when in reality it is purple. It is important to note that I will be adding similar shades in my final design, not exactly the same. These are just experiments for swatches and to get an idea of what I'm looking for. 

I looked at some purple products in the past and looked at the research behind purple in marketing. In my previous blog post, I looked at analogous colours and how purple can be used with blue to produce a more universal and liked design. 

From all these rows of swatches, I specifically liked the first one and the last one. I did include some blue shades too as the pattern will have both shades. From previous research, I realised that I like cool tone colours as they are more pleasing to the eye. They are less distracting than brighter colours and are very calm. I specifically like those two rows as they have more blue undertones which makes it cool-toned. 

I do not like the second row as I feel like it is too 'girly'.  Because of the red undertone dominating the blue, the shade turned out to be more pink. Pink is not massively liked by the male audience so it will not appeal to many people in the market. 

Similarly to the second row, the third row also has more red undertones which makes the design more girly. I could potentially include some red-undertone shades, however, I want the cool-blue undertones to overtake the design. 

Blue is the favourite colour for both men and women according to the statistics that I found in previous posts. The purple is the least favourite colour of males. Therefore; I need to use blue in order to manipulate the shade and make people more attracted to it. 

Going for higher saturations and deeper shades while paring the purple with blue will end up being very effective as it will definitely appeal to more people. This will inevitably increase consumer sales. 


FEELINGS PURPLE EVOKES

Purple is often associated with royalty, nobility, luxury, power and ambition. However, I want to look specifically into some blue-purple shades to see what they represent. Blue-violet shades are associated with royalty, transcendency, thoughtful, creativity, trustworthiness.

I feel like all these characteristics are indirectly associated with my design. I will be making products that will make the consumer feel like royalty as they will have maximum comfort. Transcendency will be associated with the extraordinary experience the consumers will have. Thoughtful and creative shows the designing process of the product. Additionally, trustworthiness because the users will trust me to make a design that will be durable and comfortable for their own apartments to feel like home.

I like the emotions created by those shades and I feel like it is very representative to what I will be offering to the people. 

If I create a leaflet with my designs on, I could include these characteristics as a slogan to entice people and link it with the colour purple. 


PURPLE PHRASES

I decided to look at different phrases that include the word purple inside. An idea that came to mind was to name the products after a known phrase of the colour purple. I could analyse the meaning of the phrase and then corresponding to that I could add the appropriate shade of purple to the product. I could look into the shape of the product and how it could match the colour and the phrase.

Some phrases I found included:

Purple prose: an elaborately written poem or paragraph, used to insult it.

Purple heart: a medal awarded to a US soldier wounded in battle.

Born to the purple: a person born into royalty.

Have a purple patch: a saying to experience success or good luck.

Lay it out in Lavender: cool, relaxed and in control of something.

Purple rain: Being with the one you love and letting your faith guide you through the pain.

Purple reign: Season or days where you feel emotionally trapped in boredom.

Naming each product after one of these phrases will affect the colour of the design. If I name a product after 'Lay it out lavender', then the shades in that design will be lavender shades. I could potentially look into the history of some of these phrases in my development stage in order to make the design similar to the title. This is not final, however, I think it is a good idea to name the product after the shade. If a product is called 'Born to the purple', I can research the rich purple shade which is associated with royalty and then let that shade dominate the design. 


Concluding, I am happy that I am finally starting to finalise things. I have in mind the texture and the colours that I would like to use. Additionally, I have these names in mind for my designs. I will finish off some research and immediately start working on my development designs as I need to have final outcomes by the end of the week. 

I am happy that I started to make links between features and my project is finally coming along. I am excited to finalise these items and start working on the software immediately. The software I will be using is called 'SketchUp' as I have had friction with it in the past.

Comments

  1. Based on what you had demonstrated in previous posts regarding analogous colours and the different colour schemes you are looking at, I think the bottom row of colours are the closest to a 'unisex' scheme that would suit your target market and apply to both male and female potential purchasers. It seems to me to be a good balance of purples/blues/mauves etc.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment