Measurements and Components

  After finalising my development and the material chosen for my design, it was time to analyse the measurements and the components needed for my designs. 

I started off by analysing the measurements needed for the desk and the cupboard. 



Each letter corresponds to a surface. On the table, there are descriptions, quantity, length, width and height which correspond to one letter.

The first step of creating realistic measurements for my design was to google the ideal height of a table. 


My results showed that the ideal table can be up to 76cm. I decided that I would create my table to be of height 76cm. Additionally, I want to create standard thickness sizes to ensure mass production of these planks. I decided that a good thickness would be 1.5cm.

I also thought that once the table was open, I wanted the shape to be a square. 
Therefore, once the table is unfolded, the measurements will be 76cm x 76cm. This means that the width of the table will be 38cm once folded. 
Therefore, the top, bottom and desk layer will be 76x 38 x 1.5cm. The tom and bottom layer will be placed outside the rest of the planks. The other planks will be placed on the inside.
The desk legs' will be adjustable in order to be extendable. When the desk layer is folded, the legs will be 38cm of height. When the desk is unfolded, the legs will be able to extend to the height of 74.5cm. This will be achieved by implementing the following mechanism.
These will not be the ones I will be using. This is simply to demonstrate the concept of the adjustable legs. 

The legs of the cupboard will be of 4cm height, 38cm width and 7cm length. This will ensure that the design is sturdy.
The sides of the design will be placed on the inside of the top and bottom layer which makes them 69 x 35 x 1.5cm. It is 69cm in height as I removed the 3cm thickness from the top and bottom layer combines, alongside the 4cm height of the cupboard legs. The 35cm is because I removed the 3cm combines thickness from the sides of the top and bottom layer.
The back layer of the design will be placed on the outside of the side layers but on the inside of the top and bottom layers. This makes the measurements 69x76x1.5 cm.
Moving on to the doors
After having the measurements completed, it was time to look at the components that I will be using. The components used are added in red colour.
Both top layer will have 6 screws. The two screws will connect the top layer with the back layer and the other four screws will be to connect the layer with the sides.
The same principle applies to the bottom layer.
The back layer will have 4 screws to connect to the side layers. 
The legs of the cupboard will be added by screwing 2 screws on each leg.
The desk layer will be connected to the top layer by adding two 180degree hinges that will allow the desk to unfold. Each hinge will be held on the structure with 4 screws. 
The legs of the desk will be added to the desk layer with two 90degree hinges that will allow them to unfold perpendicularly. The two hinges will be fixed in place with two screws each.
The front doors will be held on the sides using two 180degree hinges on each. Each hinge will have 4 screws.

To sum up, the components needed will be:
- 48 screws
- four 180degree hinges
- two 90 degree hinges


The last thing for the cupboard are the shelves of the design. Looking at the first sketch of the cupboard above, on the table there is a red line. The measurements from the red line downwards include the measurements of the individual cubes which will act as shelves.

I will create 9 boxes, 3 rows and 3 columns.
The first thing I had to do was measure the available space for my shelves in order to find the correct size. 
The top and bottom layer of the boxes will be 24x35cm with a thickness of 1.5cm. These layers will be placed on the outside, just like the cupboard concept.
The sides of the shelves will be 20x33.5 cm with a thickness of 1.5cm. 
The back layer will be 21x20cm.

Looking at the components of the shelves, I will need 6 screws on the top and 6 on the bottom to attach them with the back layer and the sides. And 4 screws on the back layers to attach it with the sides.


After looking at the measurements of the cupboard, it was time to look at the measurements of the chair.

This design was way simpler than what I thought it would be.

The first step was to figure out a way to implement the stairs in my design. I decided to calculate the average foot size which is about 8.5.
I decided that I was going to use half of that size for the depth of my stairs.
I wanted my chair to be relatively big in order to provide maximum comfort. Therefore, I measured a chair we have at home and decided to increase those measurements to make it even more spacious.
I decided that the height of the back of chair would be 80cm and the length would be 55cm. The back support of the chair would be made out of one solid plywood material which would be carved out to form the stairs.
I decided that the first step would be 20cm above ground and it would be 10cm height. The second step would also be 20cm above the first step and 10cm height. The last step would be the top of the chair. As this relatively short for a ladder, there is no risk of injury.
Additionally, I decided that the single block of plywood would be 13 cm width in order to fit the stairs which are 12cm in depth.

After figuring that out, it was time to design the seating area. The top plank of the chair will have a 5cm extension that will be fitted in a inlet of the main back solid wood to avoid the need of securing the top plank with screws. The height at which the inlets will be made, will not interfere with the carved stairs.  
The measurements of the top plank of the chair are 55 x 50 cm (50cm because the length of the plank will be 45cm, plus the additional 5cm for the inlet), and the front plank is 55x 43.5cm. This will ensure that the design is sturdy and avoids the need of screws.

After figuring out the chair design, it was time to figure out the measurements of the stool underneath it.

The top part will be 55x43cm. The back and front parts will be placed inside the top part and will be 55x41.5 cm. The side layers will be 40x 41.5cm. There will not be a bottom layer as I want it to be open in order to be used for storing if people do not want a stool. 


COMPONENTS:
For the chair, only 3 screws are needed to secure the top with the front layer. The inlet avoids the use of any more screws.

For the box, 8 screws will be used on the top, 2 for each of the sides.
The back and front layer will have 4 screws each to attach them to the sides.
The sides won't have any screws.

In total, for this design I need 16 screws for the box and 3 for the chair.

Comments

  1. Good and detailed post again - have you considered how your designs would work with the existing furniture/storage space within the space it is used?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment