How to Use Feedback proactively

We were assigned to present a 10-minute long presentation about our set project. We were supposed to showcase the work and progress throughout this term.

What did I include in my presentation?

I mostly added visual aids as I wanted the viewers to understand what I was talking about through images. As art student, I believe that most people are visual learner, including myself. I find power points with many images very helpful and less boring.

The content: In my power point, included images of initial ideas, research, brainstorm, inspiration, final designs, colour swatches, materials and components.

In my opinion, these were the most important factors to include for a 10 minute presentation. I added everything from the start till the end of my blog posts. I had to filter some information out but the basics are there. 

This is the link for my power point presentation: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-w03ERAwWgKTm7a-j0zqYNerpPi1eS-7/view?usp=sharing


We were also given the following questions to answer:

Did everyone understand what your project was about? If not, why not and what could you improve?

I think that the way I explained my project could be seen as confusing. I started off this term by wanting to create 6 foldable products, however, it drastically changed to transformative furniture. I think that confused some people but I tried to explain it as best as I could.

Additionally, Andre asked me in the end how I will be designing 6 outcomes in this project. I did not specify that each feature my designs transform into are considered an outcome. This confused some people and I am glad that Andre asked this question as it allowed me too further explain my work. 

I definitely understand where this confusion originated as the brief said '6 outcomes' but I only mentioned '2 products that transform into 6 functions'. This made me more aware of how to present and properly phrase my sentences in presentations. 

However, I feel like everybody grasped the idea of my project as I tried to show the process and progress throughout this term. 

Did you peers think that you had good initial ideas and research? If not why not and what could you improve?

From the feedback I received in the session and at the feedback forms, everyone thought that I had good research. It is evident in my project how the research influenced the initial ideas in order to make them even better.

Did your peers feel  that you were challenging yourself? If not why not and what could you improve?

My peers also thought that I was challenging myself. They realised that multi functional furniture is something new to me. Last term, I could barely juggle the work of one design, therefore, they realised that 6 designs is definitely something out of my comfort zone.

Additionally, I'm used to creating neutral-everyday items which is not something similar to what I am doing now. 

I am glad that my peers acknowledge my work and how I try to challenge myself to create something different. Andre also pointed out that I am not doing something simple which I am used to. I tried to create complex ideas with smart functions and an aesthetically pleasing design. 

Did they think you had good research throughout? If not why not and what could you improve?

My peers thought that I had sufficient and deep research for the different aspects of my design. I am happy that this was the response as research is not my strongest element. I used to find it very hard to properly express myself, filter information and find reliable sources. However, after all the research required for this course, I think I am definitely improving which is excites me and makes me work even harder as I am seeing drastic progress.

What other feedback did you get that you found useful?

My tutor suggested the use of plastic for my products, however, I looked into plastic and it was not very suitable for my project. It was interesting to hear this suggestion for the material and it was helpful.

My tutor also asked my peers if they would purchase this. The answer was yes, specifically for the chair. I like the fact that people responded positively to my design and did consider purchasing it in real life. I found that very encouraging.

Overall, do you think you presented the work well? If not, why not?

I think I presented my work well. I added all the elements that influenced my design which shows the progress and the drastic change in designs. I received positive feedback and there were not a lot of questions in the end. From the feedback form that I received, Andre rated my presentation skills a 5/5 which motivated me a lot as I thought that I did not explain my project as best as I could.

I usually tend to not be precise and accurate with my descriptions. In this presentation, I wanted to challenge myself and ensure that I am as accurate as I possibly could. I think that I did a good job with this as I finished my presentation 3 minutes earlier than what expected. In some cases, finishing earlier is not good. However, this made me realise that I could include the same context and make it shorter in order to allow myself to expand and elaborate on more things. This is beneficial as I can include more information in my project for the same amount of time. 


We also had to complete some feedback form in order to have clear written feedback. This enabled us to see if the audience really grasped the concept of our projects and spot out areas for improvement.

As I have only received one feedback form, I will attach it here. I will attach the other forms once I receive them:

As I mentioned in the questions in the beginning, Andre seemed to be quite confused with the concept of my products. However, I am glad that in the end he grasped the concept and he managed to understand my aims and objectives.
I consider this feedback very positive and encouraging which is definitely a boost of motivation. I consider Andre as a very creative and open minded person, therefore, I am glad that he only had positive things to say about my products. Additionally, I am very close as friends with Andre so I know that if he did not like something in my project, he would tell me. I am excited that he gave me a 5 in how well I presented my work as it shows that I got my message across. 

Was the presentation beneficial? I really like presenting. I feel confident and sure of myself when talking about something I am passionate about. However, I still have a lot of room for improvement. I like that most of the modules include presentations as it is an important skill to develop. In university and the long run, presentation skills will be vital. In order for me to sell the idea of my product, I need to persuade people through a presentation. Additionally, in university we might also have presentations. Regardless, public speaking and a good, fluent way of expressing yourself is always a necessary skill. These presentations are definitely helping me enhance these skills. With the 10-minute time limit, we are also challenged to filter the information and be precise with our explanations, which is another good skill to develop. I think that my presentation skills have definitely improved since I enrolled in DMU.

Comments

  1. Did you receive any other feedback forms to add to this post? It's important that you recognise the reasons for one of your group members being confused at the aim of your project - did you understand the reasons behind his confusion and has this had an impact on your project?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment