Colour pattern

 After finalising my ideas, it was time sketch out some patterns and finalise how my products would look. I used an app called 'procreate' to try various designs and see which one is more suitable.

I decided that I was going to test out all the designs on the cupboard and then adapt the final pattern to all my design. 

My first design was to include the De Stijl pattern on the front of the design. However, I thought that the rectangles were very small and distracting. I did not like the outcome so I decided to draw inspiration from one of the research products I discussed.
This design has larger rectangles that make it look more cohesive and less distracting. It looks more aesthetically pleasing and fun.
Additionally, the legs of the desk have different colours in each side as it was inspired by the arms on the red blue chair designed by Retvield. This makes it follow the De Stijl pattern.
I decided to adapt the same concept and make the rectangles bigger, however, I still did not like the outcome. It looks very out of place and messy.

As I saw that the pattern on the front did not work, I decided to use it for the sides. I added the pattern to all three sides. Even though this looked better, I was still not 100% sure. 
Additionally, the colour pallet was more girly as it has more red undertone shades. I wanted to change that to make it more unisex.
In this design, I switched the colour to a more cool, blue-toned shade which made it look more impressive and relaxing. This is definitely the shade I want to consider as it has a more unisex approach. I like the mauve-shade colours as they are unisex and more approachable. 
In this design, I decided to add a plain colour on the top, without having the pattern. I think this is more simple and effective. Having the pattern on the area that they will be studying might be distracting. However, I do not like the various shades created. I want it to be the same colour as the doors of the design to create flow. 

This was my final design. The colours work well together and they are calming to the eye. It has a flow and a variety of colours which link to the colours used in the pattern. I like that the pattern is used only on two sides of the cupboard as it looks better.
Additionally, I like how the legs of the cupboard and desk are rectangles which blend into the texture and make it even more interesting.

These were the initial thoughts of my design. I realised that the dark colours made it look very gloomy and dull. I decided to change my colour pallet and add something brighter.

There were the final designs:

I love the outcome. I am genuinely satisfied by how these turned out as I had my doubts about this pattern. I think that pattern is subtle yet very effective. I like the shades used, specifically the one for the cushion. I think that I achieved my goal for it to be attractive to both girls and boys. It looks cohesive together and the pieces are very impressive.

I am very pleasantly surprised by the outcome. I like the simplicity of the designs and how each colour dominates in its own way. 

I added the pattern in the sides of the designs and for the square boxes I just added different colours on each side. The dark shades in the cubes are there to create more contrast and dimension. Both the stool and the chair will only have the pattern displayed on the front side.

I decided to ask for some feedback from the four people that always give me good feedback:

Person #1: See, this is what I meant by the products completely transforming once you add colour. The unique texture makes it even more interesting and makes it stand out. I like the fact that you only chose two of the sides to consist of the De Stijl pattern. You truly took an iconic movement and made it yours by adding your touch of creativity and imagination. I would purchase this in a heartbeat. 

Person #2: My initial reaction to the first outcome was to enlarge the rectangles. It looked too busy and distracting and it got me worried. However, it is really interesting to see how you spot out details like this, apply your research and transform it into something great. I believe that your outcome is truly striking and the colour choice was great!!

Person #3: I definitely agree with the fact that the third design was too 'girly'. However, I also think it is very eye-catching to the point where it might be distracting. I like that you decided to create more cool-toned shades and that you combined it with blue. 

Person #4: What I like about your outcomes is that they always have so much research to back them up which is evident throughout your blogs. You took the initial ideas and adjusted them according to interesting elements in your research. You took inspiration from the De Stijl pattern, created some of your own purple swatches for the colour scheme, and took inspiration from designs inspired by the De Stijl movement. I am impressed by your work and even more impressed by the outcomes! Great job, I would definitely purchase these.

This feedback really made all the time and energy that I put into this project worth it. I like working hard in order to see the progress I make and these comments really inspired me to work even harder. I am satisfied with my progress and can't wait to design these digitally on SketchUp. 

NAME:

In previous blog post, I thought of the idea of naming my designs after a purple phrase. These were the phrases I found:

Purple prose: an elaborately written poem or paragraph, used to insult it.

Purple heart: a medal awarded to a US soldier wounded in battle.

Born to the purple: a person born into royalty.

Have a purple patch: a saying to experience success or good luck.

Lay it out in Lavender: cool, relaxed and in control of something.

Purple rain: Being with the one you love and letting your faith guide you through the pain.

Purple reign: Season or days where you feel emotionally trapped in boredom.


Even though I have six functions, I only have 2 products. The chair and the cupboard. Those 2 basic products transform into the rest. Therefore, I will only be naming those two products. 

I want to name the chair 'Lay it out lavender' as the meaning of it is to be cool and relaxed. I want people to feel relaxed once they sit on the chair and enjoy their time. Additionally, the colour used is similar to lavender so it might also resemble that.

For the cupboard, I want to name it 'purple patch'. This bundle will be used by university students mainly. Therefore, as purple patch means to experience success or good luck, I am indirectly wishing them all the best for their academic year. Who knows, these pieces of furniture might help them succeed and stay focused! :) 


Conclusion: I am happy that I am finalising all aspects of the design process in order to start designing on software as soon as possible. 

Comments

  1. Your project has evolved really well over the past few weeks, the titles are interesting too. As we discussed in the tutorial, look at the top surface of your cupboard and make it a flat surface instead of the blocks on either end.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment