Class task: Storyboard
During todays session, we looked at compositions and ways to construct an image. We were assigned to create pictures that would form a short storyboard based on our set project.
My set project is the designing of multi-functional product. This sparked the idea of designing a storyboard based on the steps that each product undergoes in order to transform.
What is a composition? This refers to the arrangement of elements within a work of art. In this case, the different images drawn will be combined to form a composition and a storyboard.
We were also informed about the rule of thirds and how it is a technique used to balance the structure of our artworks. Cutting your reference into two horizontal and two vertical lines to end up in nine sections. The four intersections of the lines make up of the preferred area to form the focal point. This helps bring balance to the image.
What is a storyboard? It is a representation of how a series of events happens, one stage at a time. This can be done digitally or by hand. It can include writing, sound effects and noises. It is useful to use a storyboard as you have both the text and the image which helps the reader comprehend it better by providing visual aids.
We proceeded to looks at different type of shots and angles that we could potentially use in our own storyboard. Some included medium shot, close up shot, up shot, over camera, over the shoulder angle, POV etc.
Our task was to create a short storyboard of 6-8 panels that will include a theme related to our project. We were encouraged to use subtitles and description to make it easier to follow and create a flow.
How I made this:
I decided to draw this out as I enjoy hand drawing things more than I enjoy digital sketching. I find the process more soothing and satisfying. I started off by sketching 3 rows and 3 columns to create 9 rectangles. Each rectangle had a height of 6cm and a length of 7cm. I used 1cm from the height to incorporate another rectangle inside which would display the subtitles.
I used a pencil to lightly write what each box would include of. Then, I started sketching out my products. Once I finished sketching them out, I used a 0.3 ink pen to go over the outline and make everything more neat and organised. Once my outline was complete, I added coloured pencils to create shadows, dimension and vibrancy. Colour made these frames way more interesting and intense than before.
Once I was done colouring everything in, I went over some faded lines with ink to make sure that it pops out. As my characters as very cartoonish, I wanted them to have a bold outline so they can stand out. I proceeded to add my main title, subtitles and the kind of shots and angles I used for these. I tried to keep my descriptions of each image as short and concise as possible.
I had to relate my storyboard scenes to the project I am designing this term. I came up with the idea of showing the different stages of my products transforming.
The storyline goes as following.
In the first scene, the chair encounters the cupboard and they both look happy. I decided to make a long shot for this scene to include both products and make them exist comfortably within the space.
The second scene shows the cupboard slowly transforming into a desk. I decided that this was a suitable over the shoulder angle so that the viewer gets the point of view of the chair.
Then, the cupboard opens up to showcase that it transforms into more storage. The face of the chair shows how surprised and amazed it is by the amount of things the cupboard can do. However, the cupboard has a smirk as it knows that it can transform into more things. The chair feels left out as it cannot transform into something. I wanted the angle to be straight on to showcase both products emotions.
The story proceeds by showing that the shelves can also be removed from the cupboard and they can be hung up on the wall.
This makes the chair extremely mad and frustrated as it feels very alone and sad. I wanted to exaggerate the feeling of being mad so I added smoke coming out of it which is a common element seen in cartoons. I decided that the angled needs to be framed with overlays to make the chair the focal point. Additionally I wanted it to be a close-up to capture the angry expression of the chair.
RULE OF THIRDS: The rule of thirds shows the ideal spot to place your focal point in an image. This is the part where the two vertical and two horizontal lines interact. That square where all the lines interact is the close up of the chair being mad. I wanted to make that the focal point as it shows that it was a crucial moment for the chair that changed its life. It shows how dedication and focusing can help you achieve something and transform, just like the chair did. It is also a very different angle and shot from the rest as it is framed which makes it stand out. I used this grid to my advantage to make it the focal point of the story.
In the next frame, the chair is trying really hard to transform. The cupboard is by the side of the frame and not all of it is included in the frame as a means of focusing on the chair. This is a medium shot to add the whole product in the frame.
The next close up shot shows the happiness of the chair once it transforms. It transforms into a lounge and it shows how included it feels.
The last shot is a group shot angle of all the products together looking happy and coherent. I added one more 'the end' frame to make it look neat by having nine rectangles (3 rows, 3 columns)
The overall surroundings include of very neutral colours. I wanted to add beige and grey tones for the background and then make the products purple for contrast. The products are purple to resemble my theme 'purple haze'. Even though I have not developed the products yet, I chose some ideas from my initial ideas blog and incorporated them into these frames.
NARRATIVE ELEMENTS
Before starting our storyboard, we were given some narrative elements to include in order to make our storyboard more interesting.
1. Character
2. Setting
3. Conflict
4. Plot
5. Theme
Even though we were not supposed to use all of them, I decided to do so. I had two main characters, the chair and the cupboard which transformed into different objects. The setting was in a house where these products could be found. The conflict was that the chair was getting mad that it could not transform as he was jealous of the cupboard transforming. The plot and the theme included the transformation of the products. It also shows how being focused and dedicated can make you accomplish what you wish for which in this case was the chair transforming.
Reflection:
What I regret not doing in this composition is exploring more views and angles. I did try to make birds eye angle and an up shot but it was really hard to capture both the products and the emotions in such frames. It was my first time completing a storyline so I am quite satisfied with the result. I feel like I explore various shots in the frames and show a rollercoaster of emotions and events. I like the colours used as they complement each other and create nice contrast. I like the flow created in the storyboard and I feel like it covers a lot of things. I think readers would be able to understand it even without the subtitles. Having the readers understanding it without subtitles means that it is successful as the images speak for themselves.
The concept of this composition really excited me as I thought it was a clever idea to display my own products. I am very happy with the final result and I am glad I had the opportunity to do this. I am very pleased with the thought and effort put into this.
How is this related to product design:
I managed to make this story about my products and how each one transforms. The angles and shots in these frames can be beneficial when I start drawing my products as a means of showcasing and exploring different perspectives of it. I could implement many of these angles or shots in my initial ideas to display the product in various directions.
Storyboarding can also be used in assembly and disassembly instructions to guide the user to complete some steps.
It can be used to brainstorm solutions and problems. They can storyboard the problem to make it more visual and understand what needs to be done to solve it.
Designers can show the different stages of how a product can be utilised to change the life of the consumer as a means of pursuing them into purchasing it.
Designers can also storyboard for the improvements in their products. Storyboarding will enable them to see clearly what gaps or parts of the products can be improved. This can help them become more focused and make sure it is improved.
Storyboards can also be used to convince clients and investors to engage them with your product and make them understand that you have a clear vision for your idea. In my set project, I decided that I was going to display my items on design boards, however, I might also consider creating storyboards.
Concluding, I liked this exercise as it was something new to me and I enjoyed completing it. I am satisfied with the result.

Perhaps not for this project, but certainly in the future, you should consider what was touched on in the session- using a storyboard approach to creating an advertisement or 'showcase' for your design as Assembly instructions or a way of promoting your product (a demonstration of how to put it together or a narrative wherein it solves the issue of space).
ReplyDelete