Research: Dizz Concept

After looking at some previous research, my tutor suggested that I look at some of 'Dizz Concept' designs which was a very valuable suggestion. 

In my previous blog post, I mentioned how I am now aware of the items that I want to include in my own design.

I want to include one cupboard that can transform into a table, also transform into shelves and to be able to open up to form more storage. As I want it to open up and form more storage, Dizz concept is the ideal company to look at to find inspiration from. 

Dizz concept is known for the cupboard they produce and how innovative their designs are. Their teams creates interior furnishing and product furnishing for over two decades. The primary purpose of their design is to find innovative solutions to conserve space. They try to improve environmental pollution with their designs by making them eco friendly in order to reduce carbon footprint. Additionally, they try to provide their users with comfortable furniture as a means of making them more efficient, focused and motivated. 

When I read these goals, I was in awe of how similar my goals are. I want to create products with the same concept and make them comfortable for the user. I chose some products below that I could analyse and draw inspiration from. 




The first thing that really stood out to me in this design are the amount of colours this product comes in. This is a very beneficial factor for the user as they have the opportunity to choose one of many designs that it most suitable for their house. This makes the product more personal and can entice more people to buy it. I could perhaps consider the idea of designing my products in various shades of purple (light, warm, dark, cool) so people have a variety of colours to choose from. This significantly enlarges the percentage of the market you are aiming for. I really like that they include more than one colour in the design which makes it more modern and minimalistic. If I create a similar cupboard, I could also consider the combination of the purple colours and how it can be used to form a unique and innovative colour combination. 
This product is made for the kitchen as it opens to reveal a sink and some storage departments for kitchen wear. I really like the shape of the product. Even though it is in a rectangular shape, it makes it look like fridge, therefore hinting that this product is made for the kitchen. I really like how it opens up to form more storage and this is definitely something I will consider in my initial ideas. 
As many people mentioned in my survey that they have trouble being organised, this product solves the solution. It has existing compartments that you can place various objects in to ensure maximum organisation. I want to also look at ways in which I can create a guide for the user to be more organised. 
The shape and compartments of the product are very simple yet very effective as it conserves space and successfully manages to store inside many items and keep them organised. The products inside the cupboard are stored safely and are not exposed to dirt and dust which keeps them clean and safe to use. 


Just like the previous product, this is also a product for the kitchen. It has a top counter that can slide to the left to form the sink. I find this a very clever solution to combine a kitchen counter and a sink.  Additionally, when it covers up the sink, it prevents any dust from getting inside.
I really like how one of the compartments opens up to reveal a dishwasher. However, I feel like the top part that slides to the left is a bit unnecessary. They could have attached only one plank on top of the sink that could be lifted and unfolded to reveal a table. Adding that vertical plank was unnecessary and in my opinion it does not conserve space or materials as it does not serve any purpose. 


My first impression of this shell was that it is breath-taking. The innovation and creativity used in this design 
People have the opportunity to safely store anything inside the shell and then lock it up once they are done. They can leave anything unattended on the desk without the risk of someone taking it or any dust getting inside. The users have their own private bubble in which they can feel like they have some personal space. Especially with COVID-19, companies can use this shell to isolate people and make them contained into a bubble. 
However, as a product for university students in accommodations, I feel like it would not be suitable at all. The first issue that would occur is that it takes up a lot of space. The circular shape of it would not allow it to be stored in corners and it would take up most of the apartments space. Additionally, the apartments are already relatively small, and placing such a large product inside would make the room look even smaller. Some people might also have claustrophobia and they would feel very uncomfortable inside this. 
Creating such a large product would be close to impossible to be placed inside a student accommodation. This product is very tall in height, and most accommodations have fixed shelves or electrical boxes or posters which might interfere with this. Only in rare occasions people would be able to have this in their apartments. 
Additionally, it would be really difficult to set up and store in their rooms. Students tend to move apartments frequently and this bubble would not be convenient. They would have to constantly have a specialist to move it around and install it in different areas. This would cause a lot of consumer frustration. 
I feel like this design is ideal for large offices, however, not for students. It is not smart nor convenient to design something so large for apartments so small. 



This is a design that consists of moving shelves as a means of rearranging the space and making it turn from a living area into a bedroom area. The thought of this is very innovative and creative and I am definitely intrigued by this. I can design the shelves into the cupboard to be moveable, giving the user the freedom to rearrange them and place them in their own way to transform their area. 
However, I feel like such a big installation would be hard to move if one only person tries to. It looks heavy and challenging which might not be ideal for the user. 
I really like how the bed folds up to become a lounge as this is something I am planning on doing in my own project. 
Additionally, I like the idea of being able to find solutions to quickly rearrange the room and cover up certain parts to reveal other. From my own personal experience, I would move around things in my room 5-6 times a year to completely transform it. I would do this because I would get bored of my surroundings and I needed a change in order to be motivated again. It was not an easy task to do by myself as I had to lift heavy things and it was very time consuming to move every item one by one. However, in this design, you can move a large portion at one time. If this had wheels, it would be even more convenient to move around. I think that it can be very motivating for students to be able to move around things to be more motivated or when their friends come over. Additionally, students do not have a lot of time to constantly rearrange their room, therefore, this can be a quick and effective solution for that.
However, designing something like this that takes up a great majority of the wall for student accommodations can be quite challenging as not all walls are the same for all accommodations. I need to carefully consider this before approaching this idea in my initial ideas blog. Measurements are a vital factor in my designs that need careful examination. 


Similarly to the second design, this product slides open to reveal the storage. However, this is not a multi-functional piece of furniture as it can only store things. Looking at the circular shaped shell however, made me realise that this rectangular shape is ideal for student accommodations. The rectangular shape can be easily implemented in all apartments to fit different styles. It is a shape approached by both genders and can look good with anything. However, I am still planning on researching to see if I can implement more shapes. 
The sliding mechanism does not excite me as I feel like it is not very convenient. In this particular design, the user is not able to look at all of the storage at the same time. The user has to constantly slide it from one side to the other to reveal storage as the sliding part is blocking some of the storage. I find this very inconvenient and frustrating. I am not planning on using sliding mechanisms as I feel like they would not be effective. 

These two wooden pieces use different shapes and how they interact together to form various combinations. This reminded me of Alfred Stieglitz as he always saw various shapes in his photographs and how the interact with each other to form complex surroundings. In the first example called 'NOD', I personally believe that it prioritises form over function. The rectangles are interacting with each other to form a cohesive and unique outcome. The purpose of this is to store items on the top on each rectangle. However, the rectangle that goes into the other can be used as a shelf to add things on. I really like how this product is form and I think that it would definitely entice people. However, I think the people enticed to this product would be of older age as it is more elegant and mature.
The second design called 'NANA' has both function and form. I really like how they designed simple rectangular tables that can be rearranged to form a square, a long rectangle, a 'T' shape, abstract shapes. This allows the user to personalise it and customise it to their own liking. It also allows them to split the two tables and use them separately in different areas. I really like this ideas and I am definitely planning on exploring it in greater depth in my initial ideas.
Lastly, the names of the artists that designed these tables are shown on the images. I could perhaps google those artist separately and write blog posts about them and their work to see if I can draw some more inspiration from them. 

In conclusion, I feel like this was a very useful task. I had the opportunity to analyse some products that I am very intrigued by and gather some pieces for extra research. I have some ideas in mind after this blog post which will be displayed in my initial ideas post which will be after this one. I am definitely planning on looking into this company again as I gained a lot from this.

Comments

  1. Again, good and valuable research - one thing to pay attention to is this: how to make your design unique and different from what you have researched. Based on the survey and your design research done so far, have you spotted a gap that your product can fill? There is certainly a need for this product, but I would like you to consider how your idea can fulfil the needs of your potential clients/buyers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment