Welcome Back to my Blog! Art Portfolio 1
Welcome to spring term 2021! Over the last term I gained multiple vital skills such as organisation, research skills, time management and I am excited to utilise these skills this term to further develop and improve my work. I would like to further improve my research skills as I struggled with this a lot last term and ensure that I have thorough research throughout my project. Last term I only looked at 2-3 product designers, therefore, I will try to research more artists this term and discover new methods and approaches that I could use in my own designs.
Additionally, I will try to reference correctly as it is a very important skill to acquire. It was not a necessary step to reference correctly during our Digital Arts course last term, therefore, I avoided it as it was very time consuming and frustrating. However, I would like to start referencing correctly which will inevitably benefit me next year.
During our Art portfolio course we will learn how to properly make, design and create an art portfolio for our chosen progression route. I will be documenting the research and development behind my major project for this term.
A product designer I was largely influenced by was Marc Newson. I was heavily inspired by Marc Newson last semester for my main project as his work never fails to amaze me. Marc is known for creating products made out of unusual materials and uses smooth geometric lines, translucency and tends to avoid sharp edges by bending the material and forming rounded edges. I find this approach very unique and original and I am very interested in implementing his method in one of my projects.
Over the Christmas break I looked at various product designers as an inspiration. I was mainly focused on Marc Newson last term, therefore, I wanted to expand my research and include more designers. A designer that really stood out to me was Gaetano Pesce.
Gaetano Pesce was born in La Spezia, Italy, on November 8th
1939. He studied architecture at the university of Venice in 1965. Gaetano was
involved in architecture, urban planning, interior design and industrial design.
He was also a teacher for 28 years at several institutions such as, but not
limited to the cooper union in New York, institut d ’architecture et d ’etudes urbaines
in Strasbourg. Gaetano’s art pieces are permanently displayed in more than 30
collections in some of the most important museums in the world.
Gaetano Pesce's work is primarily focused on furniture design as he uses complex shapes to form various objects. He implements various vibrant colours in his designs which makes them stand out from the rest in the market. He draws inspiration from various sources and creates some products with entangled lines and shapes as a means of recreating it in a unique way. I am really fascinated by furniture design, therefore, Pesce is a great designer to look at to draw inspiration from.
Why does his work interest me?
Complex products really excite me as everyone perceives what they see differently. Just like Marc Newson, he uses weird shapes and vibrant colours for a very innovative and creative design. In my main project, I would like to be inspired by Gaetano Pesce and try to create a complex piece of art with vibrant colours targeting a specific section of the market.
In my previous project, I wanted to play it safe and created a product that can be used by the majority of my target market. It had a white minimalistic colour and a rectangular shape. My aim this term is to create a more unique, complex and creative piece of art that will differ in the market, just like Gaetano's work.
References:
Pesce, G. (n.d) 'Gaetano Pesce' Friedman Benda Available at: http://www.friedmanbenda.com/artists/gaetano-pesce# [Accessed: 11/01/2021]


Good first post, interesting comments and evidence that you have dug down quite deep in this first initial research post. You used the questions you asked yourself well to examine the reasoning behind choosing these artists. Keep it up.
ReplyDelete