Art Portfolio Project: The Martians have Landed

 At first, I was very overwhelmed with the 'Purple Haze' theme as there are multiple things that could be designed. 

I have been assigned to create 6 different outcomes for my project so I decided to create 6 products that can exist within the same space. I wanted to explore elements that could exist either in a dining area (tables, cups, glasses, chairs etc), or explore elements that could exist in a sitting area (lamps, couch, coffee table, vase etc). By designing the 6 different products separately I could then bring them together to create a space. I want my elements to look cohesive together and work well. I will be designing and transforming the chosen products at a later stage to incorporate my own unique elements and innovation. 

For the actual products, I considered different products that could exist within those two allocated areas in order to ensure that I choose the most suitable objects.

During class, I started sketching out some potential items that I could design. I drew a very standard and basic shape of each item just to get my thoughts down on paper. The end products will of course differ drastically as this is a very informal sketch without my own innovative input. Once I have a basic idea sketched out, I will customise it with more specific drawings. 
I roughly sketched out some items that came to mind with this theme. 

I wanted to further expand on my sketches so I also included a brainstorm to explore more potential products. I still have not decided on the specific products that I will be designing in my project. I will be researching further before finalising my decision on which items I will develop.

I now have a very basic idea laid out which is the first step to developing a project. 

I have tried to find different ways that I could transform those products into something unique to stand out. 

As the theme is purple haze, I formed a milanote with some initial thoughts that came to mind when thinking of purple. 

As seen, on the left hand side I inserted 2 pictures of the spaces I am interested in creating.
I started brainstorming different patterns I can include in my designs.
1. One that I am particularly interested in is 'geometric'. I could design all the products based on different geometric shapes. As seen in the milanote, a chair formed with triangles is very interesting. I could make it a matt finish and in each triangle I could add a different shade of purple.
2. I also thought about creating the outline of the product transparent and then have miniature purple things inside them. The first that came to mind was the 'Medusa' vase that I looked at previously. I could add entangled lines inside the transparent products to make it look very unique and mysterious. 
3. I also thought about 'stained glass'. I could incorporate elements of stained glass in the products to make it more interesting. 
4. Additionally, I could create 6 products and each product could have a different, solid shape of purple to make it look like a gradient.



Comments

  1. The stained glass idea is interesting - I'd like to see where that takes you, particularly as purple has links to religion and nobility or royalty. I found a link here that talks about colour and it's relationship to religious practises. Here: https://www.about-colors.com/color-meaning-cultures-religions/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment