Art Portfolio Project: Initial Ideas research for Development
In my 'martials have landed' blog post (click here to access it), I started brainstorming some initial ideas that came to mind when I thought of 'Purple Haze'.
My initial ideas included the designing of 6 different products that have a purple finish. In this blog post, I will be further developing my ideas to explore specific outcomes.
Product design revolves around the idea of designing a product that solves a specific problem area. During the last term, I explored the theme 'conservation of space' for my main project. An idea that came to mind was to continue with this theme and create designs that conserve space. The product that sparked this idea was this chair.
After receiving some feedback from my tutor, I thought that
it would be a good idea to also analyse the meaning of purple and how it can be
interpreted in my design. I will be looking at these in greater detail and
analysing them separately in the future, however, I wanted to start researching
about some of the elements in my design.
I also researched about the emotions the colours purple evokes
and how it affects your brain. I realised how much colour psychology can affect
a certain product and the consumer purchases. Purple is often associated with
Additionally, I looked at how purple is associated with culture.
It seems that purple is very popular amongst people that are less cultural
whereas with more cultural countries, purple seems to be less popular.
In western cultures such as north America and Europe, purple
is associated with royalty. It is used for the cloaks and robes of kings and
queens in movies as it represents fame and wealth. I tend to associate the
colour purple with royalty, and in my future blog posts I would like to look at
examples of how they use purple in movies to convey the meaning of the colour.
In the United States, purple is associated with honour, as
the highest award for the military is the purple heart.
In eastern and Asian cultures, purple is also associated with
wealth with an exception of Thailand that represents the mourning after a husband’s
death.
Similarly, to Thailand, Latin America associates purple with
mourning and death.
In the middle east, purple is also associated with wealth.
‘With Buddhists, in addition toyellow and orange, it is also famous for clothing. Purple is the color ofHinduism and feminism (symbolizing the right of women to power and equalitywith men). Purple symbolizes the situation of the bishops. It is the colour ofpenitence and fasting before Easter and Christmas. Violet connects the physicalworld (red) with the spiritual world, the sky (blue) in the magical world ofmystery (purple), where completely different rules apply. Usually, kings,rulers, and priests were dressed in scarlet-violet. This expensive dye couldonly be afforded by wealthy, due to it was produced in tiny amounts out ofsea-snails (Murex). So purple (scarlet) has always been associated withnobility and spiritual power. Small children were often wrapped in violettextiles since this would bring prosperity and success to a child. In Brazil,it is the color of mourning.’ I liked how this paragraph was written as it
conveys how much the purple colour symbolises in a religion, culture or society.
Researching
into various cultures allowed me to understand that purple is often related
with royalty. In 1953, the tickets to queen Elizabeth’s coronation were purple
which shows that even in more recent and modern years, purple can be associated
with wealth. During the 15th century, a purple dye was produced in
the city of Tyre by crushing the shells of a small sea snail. The colour produced
was known as Tyrian purple. This colour was used to colour the clothes of Alexander
the great and kings of Egypt. Even in this example, we notice that the Tyrian
colour was specifically used for royal purposes. In ancient times, the purple
colour in clothes was less common as it was not a colour found in nature,
therefore it was way more costly and hard to find. Many people did not have the
leisure to afford such items which is why in ancient times purple was associated
with wealth.
‘Purple prose’ is also a phrase known
and is used in writing to describe how something is imaginative or extremely
exaggerated.
In my previous blog post, I noted down an idea of using stained
glass for my design. I decided to look into it and I found out that stained
glass is used in buildings to beautify them, control the light and tell a story.
Glass is commonly seen as a symbol of fragility and vulnerability. However,
glass can also represent things that are protective and strong. In the future,
I would like to look into this more and if I decide to use it, maybe I should
consider conveying a story through the stained glass. I want to further look
into how and where stained glass is used.
I previously looked at how I can implement geometric shapes
in my own design. In the next blog posts, I would like to research the shapes
and the different meanings each shape has in order to ensure that my shapes
meaning can be directly linked with the meaning of the colour. Additionally, I
would like to research more about the finish of the material. Depending on
which meaning of purple I would like to proceed with, I should consider if my
finish would be matt or shiny. Matt is usually related with dull things whereas
shiny is related with glossy and happy things.
This blog post was mostly dedicated to research of the colour
as a good understanding of the subject matter will allow me to develop my ideas
further.
In the next blog post, I will use this information to develop my ideas even further and research into purple products from other product designers.
References:
Lisjak, B. (2019) Colour meaning in cultures and religions. Available at: https://www.about-colors.com/color-meaning-cultures-religions/ (Accessed: 18/01/21)
Organisation (Year that the page was published/last updated) Title of web page. Available at: URL (Accessed: date).
Cherry, K. (2020) The colour psychology of purple. Available at: https://www.verywellmind.com/the-color-psychology-of-purple-2795820 (Accessed: 18/01/21)

I think you need to post separately about colour and how you might use it to create atmosphere, emotion, meaning in your designs. Also look at Hussein Chalayan for ways to create designs that have a second or third function.
ReplyDelete