Art Portfolio Project: First Thoughts

 During our second art portfolio class,  we were introduced to the three topics that we could use for our set project. The objective is to consider our brief and use one of the three option to develop our project.

The three objectives are the following:

  1. Purple Haze.  Use the colour purple as your theme, consider what it represents and how it can be incorporated into your art or design project. 

  2. Earthly Delights.  Interpret this title as you please to represent, incorporate or express the nature of earthly delights in your art and design project. 

  3. Expressionism. Look deeply into expressionism and incorporate this style into your art and design project.


Since my progression route is product design, I'm mostly interested in creating furniture designs. There are a lot of artist that I could research in order to get inspired by. I have to create 6 2D pieces that would showcase my work and then add it into my website's gallery. As I have to create 6 different pieces, I could explore the same style in all 6 but with different products. However, as this is just an initial idea, I would like to further look into this at a later stage.

During my welcoming post, I mentioned how I wanted to improve my drawing skills this term. However, I would like to also work on building my software skills as it is a vital part in product design. In order to simultaneously work on both digital and drawing skills, I would like to incorporate both in my design. For my initial ideas the development of my project, I would like to work by hand and draw all my thoughts on paper. Once I have my finished product ready, I would like to work on it on  software. 

Looking at the three options at first, the one I am most keen on using to develop my idea is the first one. In my welcome post, after looking at Gaetano Pesce's work, I stated that this term I would like to focus on creating a more unique and abstract piece of furniture using bold colours. Purple is a very bold colour and it could help me create a very unique piece of furniture. The first thing that comes to mind when thinking of purple furniture is Marc Newson.

Marc Newson uses a very unique approach to all of his designs. I particularly like the way he implemented transparency in the bottom part of the chair, creating the illusion that it reflects the top. What I like about his work is that everyone perceives it differently and sees different things within his designs. 
Ideally, just like Marc Newson, I would like to think of innovative ways to create a statement piece of furniture. I could also further research what the colour represents and how I can consider it in my own design.
I inserted Marc Newsons chair here as it was the first thing that came to mind when thinking of purple furniture. However, I will definitely add more blog posts to showcase and analyse more purple furniture in great depth.
In my previous Digital Arts project, I was very much in my comfort zone by creating a minimalistic piece with a standard rectangular shape. This time I would like to create something exactly opposite by challenging myself to create a piece that would differ from the market. 


For the second project title 'earthly delights', the first thing that comes to mind is creating a piece of furniture that incorporates earths elements. I could also use the glass house as an inspiration to creating my own furniture design by making it transparent and placing objects inside it. 

For expressionism, the first thing that comes to mind is 'the scream' by Edvard Munch. I feel like I would easily go on another tangent in this task and it didn't really inspire me to come up with something original. Creating movement within a product can be really hard and it didn't draw my attention that much. 

It was evident that I had a lot more inspiration for 'Purple haze' in comparison to the rest of the titles. Therefore, I decided to proceed with that as my main theme. 

Comments

  1. Really good thoughtful post that shows how you came to choose your theme. You have also included some interesting background to the kind of research elements you are going to look at this term. As you have chosen the purple haze theme, it is important that you look at how this colour is used in your subject area, the way it is used in different cultures, societies, the emotions it evokes and so on. Tthere is plenty for you to blog about over the coming days and weeks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment