Art Portfolio project: S.M.A.R.T objectives
During our art portfolio lesson, we were assigned to create our SMART objectives for our project sign off. Smart objectives are a series of questions that are very useful to consider before starting the process of developing your project. This helps you realize if what you are trying to create is achievable and effective.
Specific- What do I want to create?
I want to design 6 products will the primary purpose of conserving space. The main purpose of this design is to conserve space and ensure that it can be utilised in relatively small apartments or houses in order to save space effectively and efficiently. I need to ensure that the products can be easily folded and stored in the cupboard. My products will be foldable and multi-functional to ensure that they can be used for various purposes.
My main topic area is 'Purple Haze', therefore, I want to research how I can implement the colour purple in my design as a means of enticing people to purchase it. I will be looking at both functionality and aesthetics in this project.
I would also like to research artists such as but not limited to Gaetano Pesce, Marc Newson, Gerrit Thomas Rietveld as a means of getting inspiration from them.
Measurable- How will I know that I achieved this?
I will know that I achieved my goal when I have completed design boards of all 6 of my designs with thorough research and explanation to back up my work.
I want to focus on developing my software skills this term as I am going to be using software designing a lot in the upcoming years. I'm going to try to create all 6 pieces on software as it is easier for me to do so and it will be easier to render. Additionally, I am planning on creating simple products, therefore, it might not take up a lot of time to create on software.
I want to use SketchUp as my software to create the products and Adobe Illustrator to create my design boards when I have my designs finalised. Ergonomics, anthropometrics, materials and aesthetics will be a few of the many factors that I will research and include in my design board.
Achievable- Is it in my power to accomplish it?
Even though I will be hand-drawing some, I still have a lot of work to do over the period of six weeks. I need to set strict deadlines to ensure that I stay focused and on track with my work. I'm going to try my best to produce high quality work.
Realistic- Can I realistically achieve it?
At first, I wanted to design all 6 products and design boards on software which is not realistic in the next 6 weeks. Being organized and planning everything will definitely help me through out the process. I really like my project and I will work hard to achieve the best results possible. I will draw all the initial ideas by hand and then I will make the final products on software as they are not complicated.
Timely- When exactly do I want to accomplish it?
Even though my deadline is in six weeks, I would like to have completed my project by the beginning of week 8. This will give me time to reflect on my work and improve it before submitting it. Additionally, in case there is an halt or fault in the process of designing my idea, I need to make sure that I have time to come up with a back up plan.

Excellent post, although you still seem a little vague on what exactly you are intending to design and its purpose. It's important to make this clear when you come to your tutorial. What are the 5 foldable products and what are they for?
ReplyDelete