Research: Foldable products and feedback
Before starting to sketch out my ideas, I would like to look at some foldable products and see the reviews of the people purchasing them. This will help me be more cautious when designing my own products and be aware of the things that I have or don't have to include.
This was a process I completed in the last term's project and it really helped me develop my ideas and be more cautious of my designs.
I will be looking at more products and reviews at a later stage, however, this is just a warm-up research to emphasize on the function before I start my initial ideas. I will look for more specific items when I fully organise my ideas.
I searched 'foldable furniture' on amazon and chose some to look at that enticed me.
I really like the design of this lounge couch and how it transforms into a sofa. It looks very comfortable and has ideal measurements for someone to be able to sleep on and relax. Additionally, it folds very effortlessly and provides a lot of comfortable space for the user. Being able to open and close the sofa will be very beneficial to the user as they can open and close it whenever they desire. This is a concept I am very font of and want to explore in my own initial ideas. I also like how this function is manual and not using technology. Most of the products that are retractable in the present have a mechanism implemented that allows the individual to use a remote to control its motion. Being able to fold and unfold it manually, provides the opportunity to the user to place the sofa anywhere. Having a mechanism requires electricity so they would have to place it near a plug. Additionally, it limits the risk of cables being damaged and the mechanism needed repairing after a certain period of time. I am definitely interested in making my products to be able to fold and unfold manually.
While 89% of the reviews were 4 and 5 stars, I decided to focus more on the negative ones to see how I could improve it myself.
Assembly is a key part in each furniture. A product that is difficult to assemble or needs a lot of effort might lead to a reduction in purchases as it will cause frustration amongst the users. I need to ensure that my products are easy to assemble and do not require a lot of construction by the user.
An important issue pointed out in these reviews is that the sofa is uncomfortable. When making a sofa, the priority is to create something which is comfortable for the user to sit on and spend hours without feeling uncomfortable. Apparently, this product failed to provide comfort to some users. When I create a chair or a sofa, I need to keep this in mind and perhaps create some cushions that could be placed to make the user feel more comfortable.
When providing your target market with products that need to be self assembled, you need to ensure that it is easy for a person with no knowledge on construction to be able to assemble it. This is another review that points out that screws were hard to screw in and it was loose. If my products will all fit in one cupboard, then I need to consider how that cupboard could be potentially delivered to someone and what they would need to do in order to assemble it. Maybe I could also design a sheet which thoroughly explains how to properly assemble this.
A person even recommended to use memory foam or a mattress to go with this chair. When looking into materials, I can consider looking into memory foams and how they could work with my own designs.
This table is designed in a way that you can fold and unfold the legs. The legs of the table can be folded inside to form a horizontal plank that can be stored under a bed or in a cupboard. I think that this is a really smart design as users can easily fold and unfold it when they desire.
Most people seem to be pretty happy with the design of this table. It is convenient for them to use, especially during covid-19 where most people work from home. When designing a table, I definitely need to keep in mind the measurements, how strong and steady it is and how easily it can be folded.
The quality of the product should be a vital factor when designing. It is clear that this person did not have a good experience with the quality of this product. I need to ensure in my designs that everything works well together and the quality can satisfy the user. Durability is very important when designing products for university students as they will need it for a long time.
This design really stood out to me. It is a wardrobe made out of ten individual cubes that can be rearranged in any shape. I really like how this design allows the user to be able to customise the design to their own liking. This feature might entice more people in the market as you are presented with a flexible design that can change and alter the shape to your desire.
This design is definitely very intriguing. When I start developing my own designs, I want to explore the possibility of the cupboard having individual cubes that you can remove. I like the idea of being able to add or remove cubes and being able to have fun with such a design.
One issue that was pointed out in this review was that it was tacky and too ages to put together. When designing a closet to store items, I need to ensure that it is sturdy enough and easy to assemble. I am targeting university students, therefore, they need to be able to install it by themselves without them falling apart.
Another issue that was pointed out is that it is not worth the price. When designing my own cupboard, I need to ensure that it is friendly towards the user and has a logical price. Many university students do not have the budget to purchase expensive things, therefore, I need to make sure that it is accessible to many people.
Additionally, the review states that they collapse under their weight and they fall apart. I need to look into the materials used carefully to ensure that my design will be able to withstand a lot of weight as university students might want to store books or equipment.
Similarly to the previous review, it states that they cannot withstand a lot of weight. I need to ensure that I produce quality pieces that are very sturdy and durable as a means of adding more space.
In conclusion, I feel like this research really helped me look at some things that I can include in my own designs. I will definitely be adding more research and reviews when I finalise my items in order to target and be more specific with my research.
Your storage space also needs to be unique - to do something that hasn't been done before or improve on an existing design, so it's important to identify why you are designing this and how it is different (how it can improve an aspect of daily life, for instance). You have used Amazon as an example of a furniture seller - is this because you are aiming your design at the lower end of the price scale (you stated it is for students) or was it the first seller you looked at. Look at Dizzconcept (https://www.dizzconcept.com/#!pop-up-kitchen-pia/c6pb) for a way of turning a storage space into another space with a second use. Another link here that has other examples from Spruce.com (https://www.thespruce.com/transforming-furniture-for-small-spaces-4058276).
ReplyDelete