Art Portfolio Project: Multi-purpose furniture Initial Ideas

 After looking at some multi-purpose furniture, I realised that it was not very realistic to complete in 6 weeks. However, I started sketching out a few initial ideas that came to mind with the multi-purpose furniture and ended up liking the concept of combining the two. 


The first Idea that came to mind was to transform the cupboard into different outcomes. I thought of placing a box of shelves inside the cupboard. If the user wants the shelves to remain in the cupboard he can do so. However, the user is also provided with the option to remove the shelves from inside the cupboard and hung it up on the wall. This way, the storage area is significantly increased. You can also place the shelves on the ground instead of hanging them up. Additionally, I thought about exploring the possibility of the sides of the cupboard to move upwards to form a dining table. The user can store the cutlery and kitchen wear inside the cupboard and then lift the sides to form the table so they can eat or work on that. 
    For the chair, I thought about creating a plank divided into 4 sections. The sections will be able to bend to form a chair, a coffee table and a chair in which the user will be able to lie down on or put their feet. The design of the chair that has leg room was inspired by the previous blog post that had a large chair with no legs. I really liked that idea and thought about recreating it in my own way. 

The bottom 3 designs look very simple to design. I am aware that the final products might be completely different than these ones as they are just initial sketches. However, I thought about an idea. Since I am interested in designing 3 products from one plank, I thought of the idea of sketching different items using the plank in order to see what else I can design using the plank. At the end of the development, I might not even include a plank,  however, I am still intrigued to see what outcomes I can have with the plank.

I thought that designing multi-functional and foldable products would be a challenge but I really like this concept so far. 
I want to keep sketching out my ideas to see what else I can come up with in order to develop these. I like the direction I am headed in with these designs and want to see how I can evolve or add to them to further improve them as they have a lot of room for improvement. 
These are just initial ideas. My final product might differ a lot from these but I like the concept so far and how my products are evolving.


I realised that it is important to sketch out several options on a piece of paper and explore all the outcomes and products. I need to finalise my concept and products as soon as possible so that I can start looking into research more specifically and targeting individual items and functions. 


Comments

  1. It is worth consulting your fellow students and friends who are studying what they would look for in a storage system and what they would most like to use it for. In order for this to work having feedback would help - ask what they need in the spaces they live and work in that they don't have now. Once you have gone through this process it might help you to visualise some outlines and ways of using space.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment